Any S&W M640 .357 Snubbie fans out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogger

I have owned two M640's. Loved 'em both, sold 'em both, and now I am looking again for number three. I still think it is one of the best CCW weapons, especially tucked into a Milt Sparks Executives Companion IWB holster. What are your favorite defensive loads? Thanks

I love the 640-1 myself. I carry mine more than any other gun I own. My favorite modes of carry are the El Paso Saddlery Combat #88, the Milt Sparks Summer Special, and the Milt Sparks pocket holster. I load mine with Winchester 158 gr, SWC-HPs. I have fired .357 110s, 140s and 158s thru mine and found tham to be too uncontrolable except at very close range.

Dogger , I have one that I like very much . I carry Gold Dot 125 grain .357 loads in mine , I cant hit much after the first shot , but I love the way people stop and look . Good luck , Mike...

My 640-1 is about the only thing I can carry concealed(IWB) on a regular basis here in the Sunshine (liquid type lately)state. I was carrying Winchester 110gr. JHP 357's. But the last few times I was at the range I felt some powder and flash on my wrists. ( is that normal?) Control was not a real problem though.

I have read somewhere here on TFL that another good choice in a personal defense round is the 38 +p. So I chose the Federal 125gr. High Shock JHP. We'll see what happens the next time out.

Here in Florida I do not own a jacket of any thickness to conceal a large bore auto\wheeel gun as I would like. And I wear mostly khaki shorts while not working or on business ( no i do NOT look like the kids - my clothes fit). So this sidearm is the primary carry weapon.

However, I have recently purchased a HK USP 9mm Compact. I had a USP 40 fullsize once but had to sell it. I like the 9mm and think it just may work for concealment under a dark t-shirt or polo.

I also carry a BIANCHI Speed Strip in each pocket.

Follow up:
For those who have a lot of muzzle flip - what does everyone think of porting of the barrel?

[This message has been edited by indyspc (edited October 11, 1999).]

Hi guys, I love my M640-1! In the winter I load it with Win. "white-box" 110gr JHP 357's. (More penetration thru heavy winter coats in -20F MN.) Summertime calls for either Corbon +P+ JHP 38's, or Win. 125gr. Silvertip .38's +P. Muzzle flash is prominent, but doesn't bother me since I keep the gun at sternum level while practicing on combat targets. I have an idea where the front sight is, but I focus directly on the target's chest area. In rapid fire I keep the five in a circle of 4-5 inches at 7yd.s. -Kframe

I don't see how the little gun can hold up to alot of full magnum shooting. I once, in the mid 1980s, wore out a six inch L-Frame shooting many thousands of rounds of magnum factoyy loads and reloads. I think though, that the 640-1 will give you many years of good service if you stick with .38 spl. loads. Remember, no handgun is a deathray and good shot placement and adequate penetration are what will save you.

I am itching to get another 640-1. I always found the Remington Golden Saber (125 grainer I believe) to be a mild .357 load. I thought it was tamer than the 110 grainers, and a lot tamer than Federal's Personal Defense load or the full throttle 125s. I also like the lead 158 grain +ps. Has anyone tried a 640-1 with the clipdraw?

I like my 640 but prefer the Airweight 38 version. The 640 is an awesome powerhouse, especially if used as recommended: at powderburn range. :D

------------------
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up... Yankee Doodle

Dogger, I bought one of the clipdraws and put it on a J frame for a few minutes. IMHO the gun doesn't seat deeply enough in the pants with it. It is secure like this but for concealment I like it to extend below the waistband more, with just the grip above. This was purchased for appendix carry in my case. It doesn't work as well as the old Uncle Mikes inside the waistband cheapie with the metal clip. That holster works wonderfully with the appendix carry but they made design changes that were a disadvantage.

Another problem with the clipdraw is that it no longer works inside a pocket holster with the clip attached.

I've had one for several years, it is the only revolver that I have carried with any frequency in the last decade. Great little gun, easy to carry, unquestionably reliable... what's not to like?

I had the same problem with the Clip Draw as did AC. Perhaps, a 3 in. J-Frame would be ideal; have enough mass in the front end to ensure that the back end doesn't come out.

Another problem that I found was trying to actually shoot the gun. A portion of the clip that attatches to the frame, protrudes below the frame, giving the trigger finger a nice, sharp surface to rub on during firing.

Its a great concept as Keltech has shown. Clip Draw has a long way to go with design improvements and fit. Oh, and the cost, especially for such a useless item, is criminal.

Reference Indyspc's comment about porting, I am not a fan of porting on a small revolver meant for self defense. The flash and powder residues directed upward could get in my eyes or burn my flesh depending on the position of the firearm when fired. In a close quarters melee I don't want those sorts of surprises. Thanks for the feedback on the clipdraw... I will refrain from purchasing one.

Fired a buddy's during a mid-length range session last year and loved it. My full-charge 125-gr loads and 146-gr loads definitely let you know you were shooting a serious firearm! The 110-gr Winchester range loads were much easier on us, and actually reasonably controllable for inside 15 yards. (my reloads get 1450 fps and 1375 fps from a slow 6-inch gun--sorry no data for the 640 as we were indoors)

But I'm a sucker for six shots and have many happy memories of the Colt Detective Special. Is there a shrouded/concealed-hammer version of the Magnum Carry?

I DO NOT want to fire any .357 Mag lighter than the 640!

The forcing cone was eroded and finally cracked. Too many 125gr. jacketed magnum loads went through it. However, it lasted longer than any J or K-Frame would have.

You know, my "dream" M640 would be a "grown up" version: redesigned for a 7 round cylinder and a 3 inch barrel, keeping weight as low as possible, say a 4 or 5 ounce weight gain over the current 23 ounces S&W advertises on their website. I realize that the 7 round cylinder would require a redesigned frame, but think about it... 7 rounds (keeps up with the Colt and Kahr fans out there), 3 inch barrel (full length ejector), and j-frame simplicity. "7 shots for sure" in a carry package lighter than a fully loaded Kahr or a Colt CCO or a Sig P239. I would buy one in a heartbeat. Heck, I would buy two!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back