Any S&W 36 fans out there?

StephenT

Just picked up a used 5-shot Model 36, and was wondering what TFL owners of the S&W detective special think of this snubby. Any ideas when a 15xxx model might have been produced? The trigger is terrific, lockup is tight, and I like the slim wood grips. Mine looks it's been shot very little, and probably has been sitting in someone's drawer for many years. Any input would be appreciated.

Hi, Stephen. The S&W model 36 is a nice little revolver that will give you a lifetime's worth of shooting enjoyment, but stay away from shooting +P and +P+ ammo in it. Stick with the normal pressure stuff. I don't know when the 15 series was manufactured. Send S&W an e-mail, they will tell you roughly how old your gun is. Enjoy it!

Well, yeah...I'm a fan of ALL S&W revolvers!!! The 36--and it's Stainless "brother", the Model 60, are both excellent little revo's...tho' I personally prefer the 40/42/640/642 Centennials for carry, when we travel a three-inch Model 60 is my "nightstand gun"...and Mrs. 3-5-7 carried a Model 60 "Ladysmith" up until three or four years ago, when the 60 was replaced with a 642...also a "Ladysmith", 'natch...the "J's" are neat little revo's all the way around!!!....mikey357

J-frame S&Ws are probably one of the most popular guns out there. Many folks are attracted to the size, shoot a half a box of ammo in it and put it in the night stand. Most serious shooters usually have one around for carrying when concealment is an issue.

I also like the hump back models and the aluminum framed guns. My current one is a nickeled M38. It rides in a pocket holster when I don't want to carry a larger pistol.

The ammo advice is accurate. I practice with non +p loads and carry 158 +P LSWCHPs. Shooting a few of these each year to check POI/POA won't hurt. I do find that the 148 grain target load is eaisest on the hand.

Grips are pretty personal - I like the Uncle Mikes boot grips and the Hogue Bantam line looks neat. Some folks prefer the factory grips. Try'm before you switch.

BTW, the J frames are Chief Specials, Detective Specials are Colts.

Have fun!

Giz

I like mine and use it as backup or a carry when I can't carry my sig's.I use the fatory grips.Tried others and didn't like them.Gave a set of packs to Sam for his and he loves the packs.All in how your hands are shaped.Mine is a old one with no dash number.

Well, I had a chance to run 2 boxes of ammo through it, and I must say it's a very comfortable shooter, much more than my Taurus 85UL. The accuracy was not bad either, easily making headshots at 10 yards. I haven't come across too many of these 36s, so I jumped on this one yesterday. I paid $250 for mine, which seems to be the average price for one in LNIB condition -- when you can find it. The Chief's Special truly is a classic.

The nicest is the 3" barrel, square butt. Gives better control and a longer sight radius, which really helps accuracy. I carried one for years and can easily keep all shots in 2" at 7 yards, double action.

Jim

S&W 36

I have both the 36 and the 37. I wouldn't give up either of them. My 37 was my first ccw and my first DA revolver. My 36 is a nickle plated heavy barrel and was also someones dresser gun ;)

I have owned a Model 60 for over 10 years. I find mine to be plenty accurate, but it takes more effort to shoot it accurately because of the short sight radius. If I take my time, it is as accurate as it's larger brothers. I find myself carrying mine a lot because of it's size. I own plenty of other handguns, but this is certainly one of my favorites. I just bought a pocket holster for mine.

Stephen,

You've latched on to an early 36. According to Supica & Nahaus, it was made in 1952, probably mid-year.

This one should have 5 frame screws and may even have the early round front sight (as opposed to the sloping ramp). Many early ones also had a flat cylinder latch.

I had a Model 36, square butt 3" nickle. Ended up selling it to a friend's father, who wanted a house gun. Had it been blue, I would have kept it.

I've now got an 042 Airweight and 2 Model 38s.

I had an early 60s 2" square butt 36 that I carried deep concealed for ten years or so. Shot it quite a bit, maby thirty thousand rounds. Very accurate and extremely fast. No maintenance required.

Picked up a 60s 3" square butt 36 a year or so ago and love it. Again very accurate and extremely fast.

Never had a problem with blued guns and corrosion inspite of years in the tropics and inside thigh carry. Used RIG on a little sheepskin pad for daily wipe down.

Sam....not Yosimite, his arms longer.

Back