Any risk with this ammo?

pacifist86

Inactive
Hi all,

I'm curious if there if you'd be comfortable firing this ammo out of a Ruger .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk:
LAX Ammunition Factory New 44 MAG 240 GR 100 ROUNDS Desert Eagle Load

I'd like to find 44 mag ammo to use in both a Desert Eagle and a Super Blackhawk, but in poking around it seems like a lot of standard/lower cost ammo won't reliably cycle the Desert Eagle. So then it got me curious if the hotter loads would be of any concern for the Ruger. And if it makes a difference, it looks like my Super Blackhawk was manufactured around 1979 or 1980 with a 7.5" barrel.

Insight or experience anyone could provide would be appreciated.
Thanks!

I am not expert, but if a round is going to damage a large frame Ruger I wouldn't shoot it out of any auto loader. Buffalo Bore makes a 340grain cast load at 1,425 FPS, Ruger SBH is one of the pistols they say are able to shoot it. Honestly I wouldn't shoot 340 grain loads at the FPS from a handgun, if I need that kind of energy I'm grabbing a rifle.
But best answer if you are unsure ask LAX to get their recommendation.

Your Ruger is one of the toughest revolvers on the market. It can take any factory ammo. Buy whatever ammo will function the Desert Eagle. Your Ruger will eat it and ask for more.

Little more then a selling point . I have a Desert Eagle in 44 Mag nothing special .
This ammo is about what we shot when the 44 Mag first came out .

Not knowing anything about the ammo other than the linked ad, two things concern me.

First is that statement that the bullets are "heavily plated". TO me this does not mean jacketed, and I have a bit of paranoia about shooting anything but jacketed bullets from my Desert Eagle.

The other thing that I wonder about is the claimed velocity of 1500fps.

It's possible, but its pretty hot.

That being said, any round safe to run in a Desert Eagle (within industry standards) is mechanically safe in your Ruger Super Blackhawk.

Hard to believe any ammo company would load it's ammo past SAAMI specs without some form of disclaimer. This tells me this ammo is loaded to SAAMI specs and thus safe for any modern firearm designed to shoot .44 magnum ammo. Stout .44 magnum loads and plated bullets(even so called "heavy" plated) just don't make sense to me, other than looking for cheap fodder to dump multiple mags downrange, that still functions in a DE. At $.66 a pop, I don't see it as cheap fodder. As for getting 1500FPS outta a DE with it?

LAX 44/357 standard loads are light.

The Desert Eagle loads are heavier charged. Without the DE load, they won't cycle a Desert Eagle reliably. LAX got needled a lot online for selling bad ammo. Standard LAX is still considered unreliable in a DE.

They then put out the DE loads. They are still fine in a revolver.

You won't hurt a Super Blackhawk with any factory loaded ammo. My Desert Eagle works fine with Winchester white box 240 grain or Remington 180 grain JHP, both sold at Walmart. (Until recently)

I would imagine the difference here is that this ammo is full pressure and guaranteed to cycle. Whereas stuff like the Winchester white box crap is not full pressure. I agree that anything safe in the Desert Eagle is safe in the Super Blackhawk. I wouldn't shoot a bunch of that stuff in a Smith though.

Back