Any reliable fix for XDM-9 not locking the slide on empty?

veprdude

Bought a used XDM-9 5.25 and took it out to the range and the slide would not lock on empty.

Tried other mags with mostly the same result. Came back home tried mags on 2 other XDM9 4.5's and one will keep the slide back on any mag and the other is hit or miss.

I've come to the conclusion that this problem is a combination of: Weak mag springs keeping the follower from coming up 100% and a tight mag catch spring holding the catch down too tight for the mag follower to reliably engage it.

Who has a tried and true fix for this?

I don't own one so couldn't say for sure but....I'd check Galloway Precision as they often have solutions for problems like this.

Buy new mag springs
Clean magazines well when installing new springs
Make sure you are not riding the lock
Work the slide lock a bit.
If need be install a new slide lock spring.

Make sure you are not riding the lock

I have noticed that the slide release on my xdm9 is sensitive to thumb pressure. When I am not paying attention to my grip, my thumb migrates to the slide release and the slide does not lock on empty. Fortunately, it holds 20 rounds. If I ever find myself using it in a home defense scenario, I probably won't need it to lock.

Called Springfield CS today and got the "Send it to us for inspection". I asked if there's a fix for this and got the runaround. 2-4 week turnaround. Who really wants to do that right now?

I definitely am not holding the slide lock down when this happens.

I see youtube videos with guys bending the slide stop spring down. Just not sure id this is something I want to be messing with.

Perhaps the previous owner did something to prevent the slide from locking back. I've seen quite a few 5.25 used in competition. Just a thought

Called Springfield CS today

That's what I was going to suggest

and got the "Send it to us for inspection". I asked if there's a fix for this

I'm sure there is, but there may be more than one possible cause

and got the runaround. 2-4 week turnaround. Who really wants to do that right now?

If you've been a gunny for any length of time, you likely have other guns around.

My experience with SA customer service (2 incidents) is, 2 week turnaround, from gun in to FedEx to back in my hands.

I definitely am not holding the slide lock down when this happens.

I see youtube videos with guys bending the slide stop spring down. Just not sure id this is something I want to be messing with.

One sees and hears of lots of things done by folks on the internet. Not always wise to copy.

Back