Any opinions on the S&W SW40VE

Will Beararms

With all that is happening, I intend to snap up as many different calibers of pistols as possible between now and next year. I am looking for value rather than name. (ie: Ruger,CZ,etc.)

Has anyone had any experience with the new version of the Sigma by S&W (SW40VE)? Are they still prone to problems as the old models. Do they have supported chamber in the .40 S&W version?

An uncle of mine who is over all of the Juvenile Prisons in a Southern State, was issued the older version in .40 S&W Sigma and the trigger pull was terrible. If the new version is better, I may purchase one shortly.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

I had a 40VE (my second pistol, bought on dealer's rec) and hated it. Fearsome kick, gritty trigger. Some people love 'em, but I'm not one.

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

Friend had one and it had major magazine caused jams. He sold it. This might be
specific to the 40 as he has 9mm which works.

I'm not superimpressed - I'd buy something else.

Buy one they sell for about $325 around here.
I have a Sigma 40V 2 years old 2000 rounds, NEVER a jam misfeed light primer stike or any problem what so ever.

Use remington dri lube on the trigger components (just spray you can see them all)

This is a great gun and it is very accurate.
I have shot a glock and HK USP and they all shoot about the same.

The trigger will smooth up after about 500 rounds or 500 dry fires, coated with remmington drilube.

It is a glock that can shoot lead bullets, has supported chamber, feeds anything!!!
Satinless steel, drop free mags, metal mag release extended slide release standard.
At half the price with a life time warranty.

YOU CANT GO WRONG dont listen to people who bash this gun they dont own and have not put rounds through one.

------------------
Master Blaster

Master Blaster, Will asked about the 40VE, not the 40V.

I suppose having owned one (a 40VE, not a 40V) and putting 500 rounds through it in one month doesn't qualify IYHO, huh?

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

My experience with both the 40V and the 40VE has been very good. I like the feel of both and shoot the 40VE better than any other gun right now. It is my carry piece. I use 15rd mags which are pricey but generally available and work much better than the 10rd mags the gun comes with. The trigger may take some getting used to, but I've found the same thing to be true of almost every trigger. I would highly recommend the 40VE as a great home/self defense piece at an affordable price.

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. If the family needs are met and "Momma" is able to complete some pet projects, I plan on procuring one very shortly. For the money, the look very promising.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

I was loaned an Enhanced Sigma in .40 S&W this last year. It was very reliable in one critical aspect, five rounds out of fifty would go click and no bang. No firing pin marks at all, just a click and no bang. The person who furnished the gun reported the same thing, at the same fequency. I see this with other Sigmas in a LE training academy, with one agency having a third of it's Sigmas going "click" and no bang. The same inconsistent perfromance also kept it out of consideration for a local LE degree program. In an adjoining state, the failure to fire during a gun fight is still under investigation, with the performance of the Sigma being suspect.

Kilroy...
...was here

Kilroy:
I have heard this exact story before on this board.
Springfield PA police armorer who works at Target Master in PA says that his PD has had these guns the orirginal sigma 40 black finish LEO model, since they were introduced
He said thay have been through 7 years of use
and not seen this problem. he did suggest that thousands of rounds and or improper firing pin channel lubrication (use no oil like a glock) could cause crud to interfere
with the operation of the striker/firing pin.

DE department of probation and parole alos has the sigma and I have shot at ommenlanden with some of the officers who love their sigmas and have also had no problems.

So please tell us the name and location of the department with the 50% problem rate and I will put them in touch with Smith & Wesson.

Back