Any opinion on ASM or CVA revolvers?

dgray64

I'm new to black powder (usually use semi-autos), but have been looking and getting more excited. I read a lot of your threads and see that Uberti and Pietta (can't spell) are good weapons, but found some ASM and CVA revolvers on auctionarms.com. I don't want to spend a bundle to get started, but would like a decent gun that will last with care. I have looked at the Cabellas for $139 and that looks like a good starter. Thanks for the input.

Dave :)

I have a CVA ASM made 1860 Army. It shoots really good. However if i had to do it over i would have just bought another Cabelas 139.00 job. The 1851 your looking at is made by Pietta. Its a heck of a deal i have the same revolver. Shoots really good. Right now if you act soon Cabelas has a special on shipping for 4.95. heck of a deal.

Armi San Marco (ASM) and Connecticut Valley Arms (CVA - the original company, not the current one) no longer make replica revolvers. They were good quality but not up to Uberti standards when they were being manufactured. Well cared for, they should provide good, reliable service for many years. Abused, they won't. But then, abused, neither would a Uberti.

There are still alot of ASM guns out there New in the box ...I`ve bought 2 a 1858 Remington a few years ago , and just 2 weeks ago a Walker ..I got both guns at a good price , and was expecting to have to do some work on both ..the outter finish on both guns was nice ..it`s the innards I had problems with .But not a big deal if your good at kitchen table gunsmithing .

ASM &CVA auction arms

I have strong feelings about some of the prices I see on the 2 popular auction sites.Some of the sellers don't know a muzzel from a butt.Watch out for the "VERY RARE" crap.Like 12 inch 1858 Brass framed Remington'sThey have benn around for years;and can be had brand new for less than $200.00 from Cabela's.Many of the forums have BUY&SELL sections.I've have had very good luck this way.What burns me the most is the padded shipping charges.$20.00 to 25.00 I've yet to recieve a return Money Order for the shipping funds not spent.Much less chance to get BIFFED if we deal fairly with each other.How about the $35.00 to $50.00 difference between Cabela's VS. Mid-Way.Sorry to RAVE;but sometime enough is enough.A 1858 PIETTA 1858 Remington w/adjustable rear sights is $219.00 one place $250.00 or more a lot of other places.That is BIFFING at it best

Back