any one make 12ga ammo in complete brass hulls?

Deja vu

Im looking to buy some loaded 12ga ammo in brass hulls. Does any factory or company make these? I am looking just for display though I want real working ammo (no dummies) for authenticity. It does not have to be original ammo.

Any ideas? I dont need a ton. a 25 round box is more than enough.

No modern that I know of but there is a vintage box of Winchester on Gunbroker, right at $125 and reserve not met.
Maybe a box of vintage shells.

I am sure someone in the reloading forum makes them. and would be happy to sell you one if authenticity is not of concern. doesn't that ed hubel guy do it? he has a couple threads I believe, just google his name and se what pops up. if it's important, you could just buy the shells and have someone load it for you.

I reload brass shells with homemade/improvised tools. You need some kind of pin to punch out the old primer. A hard flat surface to set the new primer on while you push the brass shell down over it with a dowel and a mallet. And from there on, it's like loading a muzzle loading shotgun.

You can do it yourself, and as others have stated you can acquire the brass from Magtech.

I have done so in 20 gauge since someone gave me a new box of Magtech brass. Personally, I do not find any advantage to doing it.

Best if you have the equipment to reload shotgun shells. I have a press set up for 12 gauge, one for 20 gauge and one for .410. Sorry, I make it a policy not to reload for others outside my family. The liability is not worth any amount of money.

Search the net, I think there are a few videos on loading brass shotgun shells.

The Magtech shells I have use large pistol primers instead of #209 shotgun primers so a shotshell reloading press really doesn't do me a whole lot of good anyway, especially when you consider that these shells should be loaded with fiber wads and black powder, and you don't star crimp them unless you want really short case life.
Just close them with an overshot card glued in and they will last nearly forever.

I suppose you can load them with smokeless powder but I don't see any loading info for that anywhere.

Brass

Ballistic Products has a brochure about loading brass Shotshells. It contains smokeless load data for use with Magtech hulls.
I am not aware of any commercially loaded brass hulls. It really is a do it yourself operation. As noted by an earlier poster, it can be done effectively with a few simple tools.
The one sorta big problem with Magtech hulls is if you want to use modern components like plastic wads and 209 primers.
Modern plastic wads are too small for drawn brass hulls which, though nominally 12 gauge, require 11 gauge wads. Priming requires large pistol primers.
If you want to use smokeless and modern components together, you need hulls from Rocky Mountain Cartridge Co. These are lathe turned and use 12 gauge components and are 209 primed. Extremely well made, very durable. They are also expensive. Last check was about six dollars per hull.
Ed Hubel sells components not loaded ammo. His focus is on slugs and has produced some remarkable and useful data.
Here is a pic of a Rocky Mt. Hull loaded with a one ounce BPI Thug Slug a la a Hubel recipe...75 grains of SR4759.
D26BC188-5FB8-4804-9929-233695432BD7.jpg

A reloading kit for Magtech hulls: two antique tools available on EBay are the tong type tool for boxer primers and the tube an plunger for setting wads and dropping shot. The depriming pin is from a Lee Loader.
brasshulltools.jpg

Last edited:
Either those prices are frigging ludicrous, or I'm sitting on a lot more money than I ever suspected with the brass hulls -- 10, 12, 20, .410, etc. -- that I have...

Those thick walled machined brass hulls, I would be worried about chamber sealing, lots of blowback due to the thick walled cases not expanding to fit and seal the chamber.
I'm pretty sure smokeless can be made to work in the Magtech cases, it's just that nobody has bothered to work up some loads for them. I'm thinking a plastic one-piece wad might work if you put a 11 gauge nitro-card below it to seal the gasses, at least until the wad gets into the barrel.

I have an old Pacific reloading manual with a lot of paper wad and no shot protector recipes. Might just have to see how they work in brass cases.

Either those prices are frigging ludicrous, or I'm sitting on a lot more money than I ever suspected with the brass hulls -- 10, 12, 20, .410, etc. -- that I have...
Those prices are for the RMC hulls and those hulls are worth every penny. I have been using them for years and may well be able to leave them to my grandkids.
Those thick walled machined brass hulls, I would be worried about chamber sealing, lots of blowback due to the thick walled cases not expanding to fit and seal the cham
Chambers seal perfectly well....no blowback.
That picture of the loaded shell......that shell had been fired and not cleaned before reloading. Do you see any blowback?
Pete

Last edited:
If you think $25 is bad for 25 case's, you won't want to feed a British double rifle, 475 Nitro Express 3 1/4 case's are $99.69 for 20 case's from Buffalo Arms.

"If you think $25 is bad for 25 cases, you won't want to feed a British double rifle, 475 Nitro Express 3 1/4 cases are $99.69 for 20 case's from Buffalo Arms."

No, the auction was for $25 for a SINGLE Winchester brass 12 gauge shell.

The box of 10, starting price, was $125. Relative bargain I guess.

Back