Any major LE Agency or Department still carry revolvers ?

Rob62

Pursuing the handgun forums made me think of a question that I have not thought of in some time.

That question is, are there any medium to large size Law Enforcement Agencies or Departments (edited to mean 12+ sworn officer agencies) which still issue revolvers as their standard side arm ?

In context I am not asking about Agencies who have revolvers "grandfathered" in as authorized carry or authorized for off duty carry. Strictly looking at it from a primary duty (side arm) weapon issue standpoint.

I suspect that here in the USA there are none. And in fact there probably are no small departments who's standard issue side arms is a revolver.

Maybe there is a 3-5 Officer department that still does. And I would be curious to hear about them.

So out there - anyone know of revolvers still being standard issue ?

Regards,

Rob

Last edited:
Not here in Colorado. I would doubt that there are any departments in the country that issue revolvers.

The guards in the Air and Space Museum in DC carry Model 10's, and I'm assuming the same is true for the rest of the Smithsonian museums as well.

Kind of depends on what you consider 'medium to large size' LEO agency to be. Everything is based on budgets.
Lot of interference with government with that by police unions, up here. Claimed it was a health and safety issue away back when they still carried revolvers.(Mind you, the revolvers were junk. No sights and users were allowed to change the grips and nothing else.) And there were still cops who abused 'em to the point of their issue revolver failing to work and/or the guy not being able to open the thing due to rust. If the guy had it with him at all. The partner was not amused.
Our border Customs Union types decided they should be armed too. Last I heard most of the housewives and students doing the job full and/or part time were failing the training.
The Air and Space Museum is part of the Smithsonian. Those are security guards, not LEO.

The Rangers can pretty much carry whatever they want, so long as they can regularly qualify with it. Most carry Sig P226s in .357 sig and Sig 1911s in .45 acp.

I doubt it. Some of us revolver lovers have already confiscated a majority of the revolver LE trade-ins. That is except for the retired LEO's who would not part with them and are also revolver lovers. :)

A lot of corrections still uses them. Our agency just traded in some model 13s for Glocks last month. Revolvers are easy to teach, have less reliability issues and fewer unintended discharges with staff who are only intermittent users. Cost is what is driving the change. Ammo is over $100 per case less for 9mm vs 38 special.

Actually the guards at the Smithsonian are a Security Agency with special police authority and are considered a Law Enforcement Agency by the federal government. They are comprised of 850 guard personnel, so I would consider that a fairly major LE Agency.

I seriously doubt anyone still issues revolvers. But many places allow it if someone wants to. There are still a lot of LE agencies where the officers furnish their own guns or at least have the option to carry their own personal guns as long as they pass inspection and if they can qualify with it.

Back