Any lever action silhouette shooters here?

a good friend shoots a marlin CL in 32-20 with reciever sight, but i know nothing about the rules or the distances shot, but he talks highly about it. eastbank.

If the club I shoot at is any measure, I reckon the age demographic here @TFL would be much younger than the average competitor on the firing line. :(

Ah well.

I do a fair amount of informal silhouette shooting. Most ranges in my area don't even offer it though. I go to SC a lot and setup my own targets. Usually I'm running either my Rossi 92 357/38 or Henry GB .44mag/.44spl. It is a lot of fun though.

stubbicatt and eastbank...what states are you guys from???
I don't know of any range in Kansas that that shoots silhouette in either high power or old lever gun...It sounds like fun though.

Nitescout I imagine that they do. I shot a high power match there once in the 90's. I've not shot silhouette there, so I am not certain.

I shoot Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette, well, I shoot at them anyway. There are several clubs in Louisiana and south Missippi that hold matches.

For those unfamilar with Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette, let me describe it:

There are three flavors of CLA, rimfire, pistol caliber and rifle caliber. The rimfire and pistol caliber matches shoot half scale chickens, pigs, turkeys and rams at 40M, 60m, 77m, and 100m, 10 of each for a total of 40 shots. The rifle caliber match uses full sized targets at 50m, 100m, 150m, and 200m.
As with the others, the match is 10 of each target for a total of 40 shots. All shooting is in five shot strings. At the “Ready” command the shooters can pick up and load their rifles. After thr 30 second Ready period, the”Fire” command is given and the shooters have 2 minutes to fire their five shots after which the Cease Fire command is given. This procedure is done twice for each of the 4 targets.
All of the shooting in all three flavors is done with iron sights.

The rimfire match is shot with .22 rimfire ammunition. I use a Marlin 39.

The pistol caliber match is shot with calibers used in lever action rifles such as .44-40, .38-40, .32-20, .38Spl/.357, .44Spl/Mag. or .45 Colt. You can also use the .22LR but you may loose some rams.Magnum loads are not necessary as std loads knock down the targets with authority. Most clubs prohibit magnum loads because of target damage.

For the rifle caliber match, any lever action rifle can be used, including the .357 and .44 Mags but the .357 can be marginal on the rams which are 200m away and weigh about 54lbs. The .30-30 is the most popular and it seems like most people use 150gr ammo on the first three targets and 170gr on the rams.

CLA is really a lot of fun and can be done with “normal” rifles rather than expensive/custom guns. Many shooters have a .22 lever gun or an an old .30-30 in the safe.

Drue

PS They DO shoot silhouette at the Whittington Center, small bore, hi power, and cowboy. I went to the Nationals in Raton in 2014 for the high power. When we got there the smallbore was just finishing up and the cowboy was scheduled to begin the day after the high power finished. (I do not shoot Nationals class scores but wanted to go to the “big match” and to see the Whittington Center. I had never ben before.)

Drue, thanks for the input...lots of good info!!

I was only at the NRA center once; It was 1980, or `81...My rememberer isn`t what it used to be. I had my wife and 2 kids with me on a family vacation in the mountains. we were going to Red River from Raton, and stopped on the way...They were having the first annual championship silhouette matches...if I remember correctly...That`s the first time I`d heard of the 7mm08, and noticed almost all shooters were using a Savage 110.

someone please correct me If you can remember better...

Do the cowboy shooters use cast lead or jacketed bullets???

Nitescout, I've seen both jacketed and cast bullets on the line in the few matches which I have attended. Personally, I shoot cast, as it is free, and my ammo costs are less than a dime apiece in "expendables", assuming I get my brass back, and also assuming (unrealistic of course) that the brass lasts forever.

Plus I get great satisfaction when the bullets I labored over hit the target where I was aiming. :)

Back