Any leather experts here?

Hello, I'd like to ask a question about cowhide leather holsters.First of all I just bought a leather holster thats a tad bit to big,Is there anyway I can shrink it to be a tighter fit? Water it, microwave it or what to do?Thanks

There are a number of ways to make the holster fit. The slickest way was posted here but I can't find it. Soak the holster in hot water. While it is softening, wrap your gun in saran wrap or put it in a ziplock bag. Put the gun in the holster and run it through a shrink pack food storage unit which will shape the holster precisely to the gun. Remove the gun and let the holster dry for a coulpe days and it should work OK.

What Ed said. Easy on the soakin tho.....maby bout 15-20 minutes max. Then leather dye if wanted.....and a good carnuba wax job. Don't oil it or it will go soft on you.

Sight channel.....tape a piece of wood tween front and rear sights or holster will mould too tight to barrel or slide. If revolver, tape fillers behind the cylinder on each side. If done right, holster should fit well, grip the trigger guard and though well retained, the gun should come out smoothly with a good pull.

Sam

Killit, Good advice here, but whatever you do, DO NOT put leather in a microwave oen. Even a few seconds will kill the leather. There are oils in the leather that are there from the tanning process, (even if the holster maker didn't oil the holster), and those oils will start to cook the leather from the inside out.
If this holster is new, you might want to contact the manufacturer.
They can remedy your problem, or make an exchange.
Lou

Ask for leather experts, and you get leather experts. :) Ain't that just the bomb!

- Gabe

PS: Lou: My Talon Plus (I have 2) has the best breaking draw of any leather I've ever seen. It breaks like my kydex holsters. One tug and it just flies out of there. Awesome.

My good friend Matt loves his new CQC, too. Very nice. You're the man!

Back