Any info on Fed. Ord Inc?

Grayfox

I've had a thread running in the Rifle forum about a M-14A that I have. I'm now curious about the company and ahven't been able to find anything on it. Yes, I'm already aware that most of their stuff was less than first rate, but I'd still like to know about the company.

Federal Ordinace Inc.
So. El Monte Calif.

What years were they in operation?
What else did they make?
Can anybody tell me when M-14A serial # 3XXX was made?
What killed them off?
General info and opinions?

Grayfox, Ferderal Ordnance was in operation from 1966-1992. Over that time they either manufactured,imported or distributed the following firearms:

Model 714 Broomhandle
Standard Broomhandle
Ranger 1911A1 GI
Ranger Supercomp
The Ranger Alpha
Peters Stahl PS-07
All American Sporter Bolt Action
Model 713 Deluxe Mauser Semi-Auto Carbine
M-14 Semi-Auto
Tanker Garand Semi-Auto
Chinese RPK 86S-7 Semi-Auto

The M-14 was offered from 1986-1991. Sorry, I don't have specific serial number manufacture dates.

In late 1992 the remaining assets of Federal Ordnance were sold off to Brickley Trading Company. The last address I have for them is:

Brickley Trading Co.
1443 Potrero Ave.
South El Monte, CA 91733
Phone :(818)444-2745
Fax :(818)401-3299

Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

------------------
After today, its all historical

[This message has been edited by Steven Mace (edited March 20, 2000).]

Fed Ord was also known as the "sparks and chips boys" for the way they ground out guns without regard to quality. Having bought their products in the mid '70s, I learned not to purchase aftermarket products.

Gary,
Yep, been there seen that. Not real encouraging is it? I know that most of what Fed. Ord. made was junk, but a few good ones did manage to sneak out of the factory. After careful study and with the help of you and other TFLers, I think I lucked into one of the decent ones. Its by no means a Springfield National Match, but I does go bang and groups are within acceptable combat specs. I did have a problem with the extractor, but new parts are on the way to fix it. Considering I gave just little over half of what a Springfield costs(which I can't afford anyway), I'm gonna live with it a while.
Once I get the extractor fixed, I'm gonna wring it out real good. I'll keep you posted in the rifle forum.

------------------
Politically, Fashionably and Aerodynamically Incorrect!

Grayfox, I have a Federal Ordinance M14SA that I bought in 1989 with a serial #21xxx. I have put over 1500 rds thru this gun with only 1 failure due to handloaded ammo too hot for it to handle. The best groups I've had are less moa with Nosler BT 150gr bullets. It is not picky about any surplus or commercial ammo either. I must have got a good one also. MWT

[This message has been edited by Powermwt (edited March 22, 2000).]

Back