Any good magazine fed Shotguns?

ATN082268

Are there any good magazine (clip) fed Shotguns? I was thinking about picking up one but was curious as to their reliability. Thank you.

You didn't specify what action and I'm assuming you mean detachable magazine? My only experience with a detachable magazine shotgun is with a Marlin 55. Great gun, mine has the 3 foot barrel so it's awkward to carry through the woods.

The only worthwhile shotguns that feed from a detachable box magazine these days are the Vepr 12 and the Saiga 12.

The Saiga 12 has been banned from import, though, so the prices have inflated to the point where it might not be worth it.

There is also the Catamount Fury line made in China, but there is no aftermarket, and there have been complaints about soft steel. And the name is ridiculous.

Akdal MKA 1919 is actually a better choice than the Saiga. They are only a few years into the US, but the aftermarket has them running great and there are entire US made guns based on that design now available.

The Origin 12 is still pretty new, but shows some promise. There are three or four in development, prototype or "rough" production that also have some good design features.

Of course, there are the box fed manually operated shotguns, bolt, pump and even a lever either out or in development.

Last edited:
This one? http://www.store.firebirdprecision.com/

Jim is a great guy and he made some of the best Saigas ever. But they were so labor intensive the prices were high, for a shotgun that would only last for 7-8 thousand rounds. Their shotguns are amazing. I have shot them in prototype and production. At $1500 to $2000 depending on features, they are the best choice right now, but others are coming.

Back