Any good deals on a casting thermometer?

FrankenMauser

Does anybody know of a good deal on a casting thermometer, right now?

My "calibrated" turkey fryer regulator isn't quite as precise as I would like....

attachment.php

The first hash mark (far right) is the minimum setting required to prevent flame out with the dutch oven on the burner.
The second is the minimum setting to prevent "oatmeal" from the melt being too cold.
The long hash mark is "just right" for getting a good pour out of nearly-pure lead or WW alloys, with 20 lbs in the pot. It is also the minimum setting for getting anything even remotely useful out of linotype.
The rest of the hash marks are references for linotype smelting, based on an additional 10, 30, and 40+ lbs being in the pot.
There is, of course, a corresponding mark on the knob. (Not in view)

It works... but not well enough. I would prefer to know the actual temperature.

Attachments

• IMG_3375_640.jpg
    IMG_3375_640.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 122
I also have one from NOE as well and use it both in the big pot and the smaller Lee 20#. It has been well sued since I got it back around Sept.

I also just put together one of the PID controllers for the Lee pot as well which appears to be the ticket for keeping control of the temp.

Have now used it making ingots from range scrap and it worked perfectly :D (I haven’t made any boolits yet) I was surprised how low the temp of the pot had been previously when I did it.
When it was around the 650-700 mark the shavings I used as flux charred much better .

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know Al (Swede) sold thermometers. :rolleyes:

I picked one up yesterday, when I drove down to visit him. (He had a 314316 2C GC w/ HP mold waiting for me.) He's a nice guy, with good taste in trucks. ;)

I was surprised how low the temp of the pot had been previously when I did it.
When it was around the 650-700 mark the shavings I used as flux charred much better .
I mixed some alloy yesterday, while breaking in the new mold, and I was surprised, as well. I found that my "oatmeal" setting for lead was way off. I had that mark at a point that corresponded to about 525 degrees. But, I did find that my "Goldilocks" setting was actually spot on for 675 degrees with 20 lbs in the dutch oven.

I know some people consider that to be too low, but I don't like throwing tin out with the dross.

FWIW I ordered a Lyman thermometer as part of my initial outfit. I figured a newbie needed all the help he could get. I could probably get by without it now but it's a tool I don't want to be without.

Back