Any experience with the S&W mdl 12?

contender4040

Had a chance to try out a round but S&W mdl 12 airweight k-frame today. Was a pleasure to shoot with std ammo and a real joy to carry. Have any of you had any experience with this revolver concerning how well it will hold up to extensive firing? My carry load for the 38 is the Federal 125gr std pressure nyclad hollow point. Thought it would make a good big brother to my 638 bodyguard.

I was just thinking about these yesterday

I agree with your assessment. I remember shooting one that came through a store I worked at - very nice. And wonderfully light to carry, too. Being a k-frame, though, it's pretty big for a snub, and being in .38 it's not super powerful. It took a while to sell this particular gun, probably for both of these reasons. I have to say, though, it was an awfully nice gun - since firing that one I've always been surprised that they're not more popular.

I don't know about extensive firing (only shot it the one time), but I can't imagine any problems with the load you're contemplating. I bet it would be sweet to shoot with wadcutters, too. Man, a .38 spl. std. velocity cartridge is a pleasure to shoot, isn't it?

If you can get into the Model 12 at a good price, I think you'll enjoy having it. I've thought wistfully about that Model 12 that just wouldn't sell from time to time. (But resale might be a bit more difficult than with other guns.)

appreciate the replies, I went ahead and got it. It is not a snub, it is a 4". May have to try it at our informal ppc matches at the club. It hits right on at point of aim at 25 yds.

I've never seen a M12 in 4 inch - otherwise one would be in my safe. :D

Sounds like an (if not the) ideal trail/hunting back-up/small game handgun to me. Have fun!

Giz

Me neither!

I've never seen a 4" model 12. Man, that sounds like a heckuva nice gun. I think k-frames are great carrying guns (concealed or not), and the aluminum frame would make it much better. Plus, with the 4" tube, you'd get some decent velocity with the slow-to-accelerate .38 spl. Contender 4040, I'm jealous now!

I THINK, but am not certain right now, that the Model 12 was also made in a 6" version.

I'm at work, and don't have my books here with me...

One of my former coworkers at the gunshop carried a Model 12 2.5" as his off-duty weapon.

OK, finally home.

The Model 12, at various times, was offered in 2, 4, 5, or 6" lengths with either square or round butt versions.

The Model 12 is a great gun, although nowadays it seems big for a lightweight. Of maybe half a dozen 4-inch Model 12s I've seen, most were round butt. (However, this is obviously a very small sample, and I don't really know if round butts were produced in greater quantity.) Interestingly, my Model 12 is a 2-inch square butt.

Back