Any experience with MagnaPort

9mmLaw

I am thinking about having a Ruger SP101 (357) ported. Does anyone have experience with these people, I have read they are good. Any other thoughts?

Mag-na-port

Hey 9 mike-mike:

I have tried mag-na-ports on a couple of revolvers, .44Spl 624, and .357 686. Both have longish bbls, 6.5 and 6.0 inch respectively. I first tried them on the 624 and when the revolver came back I shot a ported gun side by side with a non ported one. I'd have told you I couldn't tell the difference. Later, though, I used the ported gun at a pin match and the results were pretty conclusive. Subjectively, I didn't see any difference but an objective measurement with a timer told the tale.
When we went to the 686s to get the 7th round I got my bride's gun ported first, then did mine and had a good opportunity to compare performance on pins and at some man-on-man steel shoots. There is a significant advantage when follow on shots are needed.
Cheers,

Norm
PS They do good looking work and the turn around is good too.

My 8" Anaconda came Magna-ported when I bought it used so I have no direct comparsion. I personally am one in favor of porting but many on this board aren't.

porting

I have a Taurus 605 ...........2 1/4 inch snub 357. It is factory ported. The porting makes a tremendous difference. When I shoot the same ammo in my s%w 640 the recoil/muzzle jump increase is tremendous.

I just got my Model 57 back from MagnaPort...sent off the new 4" barrel to duplicate the porting pattern on my old Performance Center PC-13. They did a fine job, and I do believe in the value of porting on guns in high-pressure calibers.

Have MagnaPorts on 629 (aftermarket?) and PC-13 (contracted to MagnaPort by *&* Performance Center). They're well done and quite functional. (Double- and triple-taps on pepper poppers with a 3" .44 Magnum were not something I thought possible before... ;) ).

When my roomie decided to build a custom "PC-57", we scanned the porting on the PC-13's barrel and printed it out to send to MagnaPort along with the 4" 57 barrel. Barrel came back exactly as requested.

pctwins.jpg

You'll note nasty residue left by shooting unjacketed 158gr LSWC loads through PC-13. The picture was taken before the gun was cleaned, but vaporized lead residue ain't easy to get off; stick to jacketed bullets in ported guns.

Had Mag-Na-Porting on a S&W 3" Model 66. Didn't notice a big difference in muzzle flip over a 2.5" Model 19. There was increased noise and jets of hot gas emitted close to body. Not a good idea for a carry gun IMHO.

I have a 686 2 1/2" Magnaported from the factory (distributor's order). I always thought the porting would only be effective in longer barrels, but shooting mine alongside a non-ported duplicate proved otherwise. No difference in recoil, but muzzle jump can be held to an absolute minimum with the ported gun. Upward blast from the ports is definitely there, so the gun must be out in front of you when drawn and fired, but this is my practice anyway. "Blinding flash" simply is not there with the modern SD ammo. I've fired mine on a pitch-dark indoor range with Federal and CorBon loads, and could see only a few sparks from the ports. An older batch of Rem. 125s made basketball sized flashes.

I had 2 Ruger Redhawks in 44 mag. One with a 5.5" barrel and the other with a 7.5. The 5.5 hurt the web of my hand with heavy loads, the 7.5 did'nt. Had the 5.5 Magnaported and it then had about the same muzzle jump as the 7.5. No huge change, but enough to make the difference I needed. Not a bad investment.

Gunzo

My experience with Magna Port........

has been confined to one gun. A 4" 629 in 44 mag which was magnaported and cut back to 3". On the plus side it did appreciably reduce the muzzle flip. On the negative side, I hate to clean ported guns - purely personal. Also, it was loud, loud, loud. Should not be shot without adequate ear protection used.

Magna Porting

I have a Ruger SBH with a Magna Ported 10.5 inch barrel. The muzzle flip has been tamed tremendously, but in my experience Magna Porting DOES NOT REDUCE LINEAR RECOIL !

A worthwhile investment if you know what to expect .....

I had my M66 3" magna-ported also. 125 gr federals are much more pleasant to shoot. I think it ran me about $110 for the twin ports. That was three years ago, though.

I had a lot of work done to a Redhawk by Mag-na-port. Excellent results at what I think are very good prices. I will definitely use them again.

Back