Any experience with Federal PowerShok 180gr (in 30-06)?

ezmiraldo

I want to use this round to learn shooting medium and long range (up to 500-1000 yards). I also plan on hunting deer, elk, hogs, possible black bear (100-300 yards) with it using Savage 11/111 trophy hunter with 22 inch barrel. Looks very affordable, and reviews I've seen are decent. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I use Power Shoks exclusively in my Savage 110, but I use the 150 grain. FWIW- They are very accurate, affordable and the bullet has performed well on deer and swine up to 350 pounds.

It is a decent enough hunting bullet for the game and ranges you are considering. The Federal Power shock is good ammo for the money. Cheap enough to not break the bank and kills stuff just fine.

It is a poor choice for longer range target shooting. There are huge differences in bullets aerodynamics. At normal hunting ranges it isn't enough to really matter, but out at 800-1000 yards small differences make a big difference. In order to be successful at those ranges you'll probably have to handload to get the level of accuracy needed and use heavier target bullets designed to be more streamlined for better long range performance.

Interesting... Is there ammo that can be used for both medium-long range target shooting (500-1000 yards), and for hunting medium-large game at point blank and medium range (100-300 yards)? I want to pick one cartridge that I can use for both of these purposes. I thought Federal PowerShok 180gr might work as it has an OK ballistic coefficient of 0.385.

Another newbie who thinks that he can shoot 500-1000 yds. Jeesh.:mad:

Have you ever actually seen a target 1000 yds away - let alone tried to hit one. Start small, THEN work your way up.

By working your way up, I'm not just talking about skills. I'm talking about equipment too. The rifle and scope you use on 100-300 game is not even close to the same rifle you take to the range for shooting 1000 yds - certainly not that Savage you were thinking of.

Yes, you can plink away at a 1000 yd target with a hunting rifle but you aren't going to get any kind of serious grouping. You may get lucky and hit the gong a few times.

Got ya. I'll try to push my hardware setup as far out as I (and it) can - I'm just now getting into rifle shooting sport. If need be, I'll upgrade my equipment in the future - just can't afford to right now...

Doyle, does what you are saying also apply to the ammo? Or, is there ammo that can be used for my two purposes effectively?

A basic hunting rifle will generally work well to 500 yards, with the usual mounts for a 3x9 or 3x10 scope and otherwise proper loads, bedding, trigger and all that. Quite a bit of factory ammo will work quite nicely.

But to get on out into serious Ma Bell country, issues arise. Scope magnification, angled mounts, tailored handloads--just for starters. A major issue in the skills department is that of doping the wind. It's a much lesser problem at 500 yards, for sure.

Example: I took my reliably-sub-MOA '06 sporter to my 500-yard range. I guesstimated about two feet of "up-breeze" hold and sure enough: I centered the steel plate. Shot some sub-MOA groups, yeah, but I wouldn't figure that the rifle would be all that useful in playing around at 1,000.

Listen to Art - what he said has meaning. And to answer your question, no - the ammo you use for hunting is not the same as what you would use for any kind of serious 1000yd shooting (I'm talking about something other than just lobbing bullets downrange to see what you can hit).

I've been shooting most of my adult life (and I'm 54 years old now). I've never shot 1000 yds and probably never will. BECAUSE I know what it takes to do it. I have neither the financial resources nor the time to do that kind of shooting - and it can take serious amounts of both. Again, I'm talking about something different than just wasting ammo at a target you can barely see. If you want to do that with a hunting rifle, then go ahead. You certainly won't hurt anything besides your ammo budget.

About once a week, someone comes on here knowing nothing about rifle shooting and immediately wants to shoot at 1000yd targets. It's a shame you can't give someone a reality slap over the internet.

Most hunting type bullets are not going to give you great performance at 500 yards +. If that is your goal, I'd look at the various "tipped" bullets or the Sierra GameKing HPBT(not sure it's available in factory loads). My current long range 30/06 ammo is handloaded using 175 HPBT and is good to 600 yards on nongame animals or steel plates.

The power shock is a flat base soft point. That's not the best shape for long distance shooting.

I don't have any experience with the round, but I do use a similar bullet for deer and targets out to 600yds; the Hornady Interlock SP.

Since I shoot for the fun of it I don't demand a super accurate bullet passed 300yds my hunting limit.
At about 500yds there is a drop off in accuracy but it's still fun. Most of that is from wind imho; well and my lack of ability.

I'd look for a boat tail if you want to shoot longer range with a hunting bullet.

It's a shame you can't give someone a (reality slap over the internet.

Or one for having poor manners. Just because someone has expectations that are unrealistic doesn't mean we need to be rude.
Someone came to the TFL (the worlds leading collection of internet based firearm authorities) looking for advice about shooting. Not to be ridiculed for their lack of knowledge. They would go to (insert other forum name here) for that.

On subject. I'm pleased you have a 30-06 for game out your way. And your choice of cartridge. 180-gr Federal is an excellent weight bullet for the game you have in mind. You might even say its one of those universal bullets that can harvest nearly all the game it comes in contact with down range at reasonable distances. {In not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers}_Frankly I thinks its good for every shooter to try their skill at the longest yardage they think their capable of shooting with the rifle of their choice. How else would they know their limits. If you think you can get one of those 180s out to 8-1000 yards. Go for it. If your effort and bullet weight falls a little short. So what. You can always try again. Why heck maybe next time you might borrow someone's Barrett just to make sure you can knock on some iron at those distances. (800 to 1000)
Good luck on the Range. And on the scout for one of those animals you commented earlier.

Seems to me that, if you have access to a 1000 yard range, you will also have access to 1000 yard shooters. Spend some time as an observer, paying attention to their gear and techniques. Chat them up: most will answer questions. Be sure to pick the brains of the range personnel, they will have good input, including opinions on which of the shooters can be taken seriously. Take those opinions and what your hear from the shooters with caution, remembering the description of the "expert": Not always right, never in doubt. Critical thought is always a good thing on the range. Be especially wary of those who sneer at anything.

My own 1000 yard experience is limited to 200 rounds of M2 Ball through a 1903A1. I saw a lot of Maggie's drawers. If a kid with a well worn rifle and iron sights can manage it, you should be OK. What you have will do the job though more dedicated gear will likely allow you to do it better and with greater ease.

Last time I hunted elk in Wyoming, a medium sized 4 X 5 bull was taken with two shots through the chest organs. Live weight was approx. 575 lbs. My .308 rifle was loaded with FEDERAL 180 grain Power-SHOK ammo. Distance was approx. 175 yards. Penetration and expansion was quite good. I recommend this ammo for big game hunting.

Jack

i dont have any experience with rifle ammo.because have been reloading since my first rifle i owned.
but when i lived in massachusetts where its shotgun only.yea federal is the best afordable factory ammo out there.i have no experience with the loads you refere to.outside of something like black hills,superior or something really pricy,you cant beat federal

Try the Federal "Fusion" ammo. For factory offerings, its a better round.
Then start handloading. Especially if you engage with the longer ranges.
To the OP: keep your questions coming, you'll get some pretty decent info here.

Thanks for your input, folks. I guess this will be a relatively good and definitely cheap round to get me started. After I build up my initial skill level, I'll probably be considering cartridges that have higher BC bullets. Thanks again!

Back