Any difference among custom barrel makers?

Sodbuster

I'm considering upgrading a Model 70 of mine.
Not to be used in competition, but just for my personal satisfaction. The most probable type of barrel I'd get would be a parkerized stainless steel with a medium taper. Any thoughts on Hart, Douglas, Shilen, et al would be appreciated. TIA.

------------------
Hoka-hey

This is how a barrel maker would judge them.. Hart the oldest and one of the best. Buttons his barrels and uses the push method which relies on lubrication to maintain steady twist so some times shows a little accuracy problem A second generation family business. Shilen is the second oldest company and is also a second generation business. They are capable of producing good rifle barrels. Douglas . is just a production barrel company and you will get a barrel that has never had a human eye look through it! Good enough for a hunting rifle---Sometimes! You never know what you will get.. Obermyer , \Kriegerthe and K and P are a cut barrel maker, As far as I am concerned that's enough said! Schnider learned his trade in the McMillan shop and takes an engineers approach to making barrels. The other choice is. Lilja .. The above choice is based on what I think can make a barrel which will shoot the best!

Thanks, Gale. I didn't know how many replies I would get, but I guessed you would be one who would answer. You have a lot of knowledge and expertise, and the fact that you choose to share it with us forum members is greatly appreciated.

------------------
Hoka-hey

Back