Any CONS to the Springfield M1A line?

Erik

Is there anything wrong with these rifles? I've only heard good things. I'm making a list of rifles I want, and so far it is on it. Anyone?

Erik

Kicks harder and twists around more than my AR10 or HK91. I personally don't find the ergonomics that wonderful. Harder to disassemble than a FAL or AR10. Scope mounts aren't as stable in a field environment as on other types of rifles.
That's about it.

Erik, Keep it at the top of your list. Do it well and you will never regret your decision.
These rifles can have magical properties!
They cost a bit, are a trick to tune, but... :D :D :D
Hank

THE only problem with the M1A is the price. It may be high but not as high as a lot of similar rifles. I got to disagree with Rik on mose every point he made on the rifle though. The recoil isn't as bad as my H&K-91 and I don't know what twisting he was talking about. At least I never noticed it. It probably does recoil a bit more than the AR-10 but then again, the AR-10 has a post-ban muzzle break while the M1A still has an excellent flash suppressor. The safety is far better than that on the H&K-91 and still better than the FAL is it has the metric selector. As far as scope mounts, true that a lot of them just don't work that well but the Brookfield mount is very stable and the best, although expensive. IMHO, if I had to grab a rifle, the M-14 would be my first pick. It's the most accurate battle tested rifle available with a large amount of spare parts on the market and high power gun smiths that can work magic with them. Never tried the AR-10 so I can't speak for that rifle but it edges out the FAL in the area of sights which aren't esily adjustable. The H&K-91 rates last in my book not because of it's good accuracy or reliability, but it's just such an awkward rifle to work with. With no bolt hold, poor safety lever and magazine release button location, short stock, poor trigger and sights that need a special tool to adjust, it's probably my least favorite rifle of the .308 battle rifles.

Grunt, I meant exactly what I said about twisting...when I shoot my HK91, it stays basically on target. When I shoot my M1A, it twists away from the aimpoint and I have to bring it back around. And the recoil most certainly IS worse than MY HK91...noticably harder. Of course, my HK91 and AR10 are heavier than the M1A, which is a positive for the M1A.
As for your comments on the 91 and FAL's safeties, I totally disagree. I find them easy to operate. I also find the mag release on the HK easy to operate and the stock seems fine to me...if the stock is too short for you, you can always get a stock extension or an MSG90 buttstock. Of course those are individual things, based on finger length, arm length, etc...
I don't find the trigger on the 91 to be that bad...not as good as the M1A but by no means unmanagable.
There are many spare parts available for FALs, M1As and 91s, so I don't believe that is much of an advantage.

Check the web (bridge) of the receiver for defects in casting. The web/bridge serves to disengage the firing pin until the bolt is locked up. If it's not casted properly, it can accelerate the wear on the firing pin tail, induce failure and negate this safety feature of the rifle.

chart1.jpg

Down side to the M1A is cost for the rifle and cost for spare mags. Regarding disassembly, short of screwing the barrel out of the receiver, I can disassemble my M1A down to it's component molecules with nothing more than the combo tool that comes in the cleaning kit. If you worked slowly it might take 10 - 12 minutes to get it all apart.

I've got a FAL and an AR15, both of which I built from kits. I agree you can drop the bolt out of a FAL/AR faster than a M1A, but that's about it. To go beyond bolt removal in a FAL/AR you need about an hour, a number of special tools, a third hand, and a good eye to find all the teeny tiny pieces and parts that go flying hither and yon.

On a FAL/AR to take the gas system apart you have to remove the front sight... there goes your zero. They're all great rifles, though if I had to go to war I'd want to grab a M-14. -- Kernel

Only CON I can think of is that the prices on magazines are going through the roof. Of course we can all thank president pantload for that.

As far as the person talking about "twisting" while firing I have never experienced that. Get a good 1907 style MRT sling and learn how to use it and the rifle will stay nice and locked into place.

GREAT MATCH RIFLE!!

I would still take a FAL for overall shooting fun and any SHTF type of scenario.

Yes Orsogato, I wound up wrapping my hand in the sling to prevent the twist. However, the point IS, I don't HAVE to do that with my other 308 battle rifles, or the FALs I have shot. Yes, the sling can obviate the recoil...but the greater recoil and muzzle movement exists and needs to be accounted for when making a decision.

Yes Gary, but how does the gas get to the tube? Through the front sight assembly. By definition if you were to "take the gas system apart" you would also disassemble the front sight assembly..... and lose your zero.

I've never liked gas systems that utilize the front sight. The FAL's front sight is especially weak, the whole thing is held in place by friction and one tiny pin. If you got a FAL try this: sight it in good at 100 yds. Then grasp the front sight assembly and twist it with all your might, or give it a couple of good taps with the handle of a screw driver. Shoot another group, your point of impact will be off by about 2 feet. It's a fun gun to shot, great ergonomics, but I'd never stake my life on that front sight in a rough'n tumble combat environment.

The AR's front sight is more robust, though very similar to the FAL the fact that it's held by two pins must help. the M-14's is the best, it's part of the flash hider and is splined to the barrel, it ain't goin' nowhere, even if you take the flash hider off it returns to zero when you put it back on. -- Kernel

Back