Any Colt M1991 Compact aficionados out there?

Dogger

Checked Colt's website and they are showing the 1991 compact again. Am itching to buy one if I can find one... But first...am curious to know if the stock version is reliable... I have "heard" that they are reliable provided you shoot hardball, polish the breach face, install Wolff springs in your magazines, and replace the recoil springs OFTEN. Thanks for your responses.

I don't own the compact but have the CCO. Best .45acp I have yet to own. As for the above mentioned mods. I would go for the Defender of CCO and not look back. No mods needed of any kind. Keep'em sharp

I bought my 1991A1 Compact back in '97. The first thing I had to do was dump the factory mag!

The store I bought the gun from has an indoor range so I decided to shoot it before taking it on home. The gun was a jam-a-matic when I used the factory mag. I went and bought 2 Shooting Star mags and resumed my range session. 100% reliable! :)

I have since modified the gun as follows:

Wilson guide rod and plug, Wilson Thumb safety, Ed Brown beavertail, checkered front strap 30 lpi, short trigger, S&A checkered mainspring housing, Hogue checkered Kingwood grips and a Novak rear sight.

Recently, I had a bit of a problem with the firing pin sticking forward and allowing the firing pin stop to drop down and tie up the gun. I was shooting +P ammo in rapid fire drills. I've got a Ed Brown firing pin stop, a 24# recoil spring and a extra power firing pin spring to go in the gun this weekend. That should fix the problem.

Bascially, I very happy with this gun. It wasn't out of the box reliable, but a simple magazine change fixed that. Of course, your mileage may vary! :)

Picked up a used 1991 Cmdr three years ago. Cut a bushing for it. Put Hogue soft finger groove wraparound grips on it.

It's my carry. Shoots one big 1.5 inch hole at seven to ten steps. Gun fight range. Bushing made a difference.

I love it.

Sensop

I've owned my defender since april of 99. It
performed flawlessly right out of the box. Since then the only changes have been a wilson combat adjustable trigger, and trijicon
night sites. With 2000 rounds through the gun it still shoots as good as new.

Back