Any buying tactics in Gun Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sig Man

Since I live in Eastside, it is hard to find any gun show. Finally, I've found one in my area which will be opened on Novemer 13th. I've bought my guns only thru local gunshops, So I have no idea how those gunshows operate. I've heard that I can get good price from gunshows. My questions are that can I bargain with them or all the prices are fixed? do they have lots of high capacity clips(for sig or HK)with good price?
do they sell Ammos too? The reason that I'm asking all these questions is to estimate my budget for the upcoming shows. THANK YOU.

In my area you had better bargain or be prepared to pay a good deal more for something you could get cheaper at one of the high volume gun dealers. Its kind of like the sticker price on a new car. No one in their right mind pays sticker price.

The best way to get a good deal is:
1)Know what you are looking for, and what it costs in your area.
2)Pay in cash. Dealers tend to give a better deal if you use cash, not credit or checks. Checks are ok, but cash is the best.
3)If you do haggle, don't get upset if the seller won't budge on the price, and don't hassle the seller about it. Just move on and find the one who will give you the deal you want. Just remember, you have to be flexible too.
4) Do your research. Buy a Shotgun News, and search the internet for the average price on whatever it is you want to buy. Then add in the sales tax and any extras that you may want. That way you have a price reference to work from.

Gun shows are like flea markets. Ya never know whos gonna show up or what they will have. There is usually ammo for sale and most dealers will haggle on anything. If you do it right, the haggling is half the fun. Often you can find accesories, parts, etc. that most shops don't carry.
Watch for customers who came to sell or trade something. This is where you'll get your best deals.
Pay in cash. Many dealers charge extra for credit cards and many won't take checks. Like the man said, know what you're looking for and what it should sell for. Some dealers will ask too much because the customers think that just because this is a gunshow that prices will be cheap. tain't nececarily so.
And above all, rule one is look at everything before buying anything. It's irritating to buy something only to move on and find someone else has the same item at a cheaper price.
Good luck and enjoy the show.

The Sig Man,

Phillip and Grayfox have just about covered the rules of engagement. To add emphasis I'll also recommend that you get a Shotgun News or, better yet Gun List, and look for the best prices on what you're looking for.

I have an excellent memory, it just doesn't last very long, so I make a "cheat sheet" to take with me. On it I have a list of what I'm actually looking for, followed by what I'd like to have, followed by what I'm willing to look hard at, all with "not to exceed" prices jotted down.

And like Grayfox said, ALWAYS cruise the whole show first, then go back to the tables that interested you and bargain. Don't be bashful about asking anybody holding something you are interested in for a price.

By the way, when you do your price research, be sure to write down where you saw the lowest ones. You may find that after the show you would be better off ordering it through your dealer!

Mikey

In Dallas, there are several dealers that will sell at gun show prices everyday, probably because we have a gun show every other weekend.

I still enjoy the shows. You can pick up the gun you are shopping for and get a good feel for the trigger, fit and finish, etc.

As far as higher than market prices at the shows, I have on occasion, seen a high price here and there, but the guy at the next table will have a much lower price, and you just buy from him.

Make sure you know what you are shopping for. There are a lot of guns out there that look alike but have a much higher or lower price.

Night Sights make big difference in price.

I have never been able to haggle down a gun show price unless I was trading another gun.

Have fun!

Depends on who is selling and how big the show in. If a dealer is selling a NIB gun there is a good chance that there is no room for dickering. If it is an individual selling off some pieces from his collection you can get a deal. Some people try to sell used for what you can but NIB for across the room. I usually find this works best at a small show. Small shows may have a low attendance because of poor advertising. If you see the dealers not doing well on Sat and find something you like, go back Sunday around noon and if it doesn't look like he has sold anything make him a low ball offer. I have been able to get good deals from people who have travelled a long way yet have to cover expenses for meals, lodging, travel, and the table who have had poor shows. They may have bought a couple of things and didn't sell anything and need the cash.

Permit me a few remarks, in no particular order, on gun show ethics.

Ask the exhibitor's permission to pick up an item, especially an expensive one. This puts you on good terms with the seller, right off, if you choose to buy.

Hold a gun by the grips or stock, touching the metal as little as possible. Always support a leather scabbard of a sword, bayonet or dagger when drawing the blade.

Don't dry fire a gun and NEVER load or attempt to load a gun! NEVER! If guns are tied, do not cut the tie; most show rules will allow the seller to cut the tie for a serious buyer, but the potential purchaser should not do so. Naturally, the rules about pointing guns applies always.

Do not spill a soft drink or mustard from a hot dog all over a $5000 gun. This does not make for friendly relations with the seller. Eat and drink in the areas set aside for that, not around the exhibits.

Dicker, but once you make an offer and it is accepted, that is it. No reneging on a deal.

Most sellers are honest. Some are a little shady, a few are downright crooks. Learn enough to know what you want and what you are looking at.

Some sellers may not be as knowledgable as you are. If you get something at a good price, buy it and say goodbye. Don't stand around telling everyone what a sucker the guy is. If you do, it won't happen again.

If you think the item is a fake, or not right in some way, just pass it up. Don't broadcast to the world that the guy is a crook, cheat, liar, and eats spaghetti with a spoon. If another potential customer asks your opinion of an item, you can say that you wouldn't buy it, but it is not your job to keep the rest of the world either educated or honest.

When you hear a real "story", just smile and say politely that you didn't know that Robert E. Lee used an M1 Carbine at Gettysburg, and walk away.

Jim

Always bring lots of cash, they never except checks. When you find an item you wish to purchase look at the price then walk away and count out a lesser amount and have it in a seperate wad. Example say item I is $325, count out $280 or $290 and have that amount of cash ready. Go to the dealer and tell him/her that you will give them X amount ($290) up front for the $325 item. You would be amazed at how much money you can knock off. Dealers can't resist cash up front for a sure sell even if it is a few dollars less than the marked price. As far as bargaining for ammo I've never tried that.

Here's another tip. If you find a model you like, but don't absolutely need that day, then wander around till about an hour before the end of the show. Make an offer. You may get it, you may not. If your offer is declined, come back when the dealer is starting to pack it up(say, 15 minutes till closing). Offer again. Lot's of deals are made this way. If the price is within reason the dealer would rather get the cash than pack the gun up to take to the next show. -Kframe

Good advise from all.

One real suggestion that I have is make sure your hands are clean before picking up any thing from a table. Handles firearms so you touch the metal as little as possible. I carry a silicon coated cloth with me to wipe down a firearm after I look at it if I touch the metal. This helps prevent the owner from claining I harmed his firearms from handling them. I don't have acid hands where metal rusts from handling it, but if you do, consider wearing cotton gloves and using a gun cloth after handling firearms.

Do not work the action of any firearm. There are still some collector shows where the guns are not tied. I can assure you, you will end up with massive lumps on your head if you were to pick up and cock a NIB 2nd Generation Colt Single Action Army that never had its cylinder rotated.

Never, NEVER, NEVER ask anyone how to convert anything to full auto. Or how to make a silencer or anything else that is not legal.

If you are after ammo in large amounts, over 1,000 rounds, and you find a dealer that has the calibers you want you can either buy the ammo early (if it is moving fast) or wait until the late hours in the show and see if you can cut a deal "So ya don't have ta cart it all home." I managed to pick up 4,000 rounds of 7.62*51 ball ammo that way. More ammo than I wanted to but but I got it for what I would have had to pay for 3,000 rounds 4 hours earlier.

And if you ask a price of something and the owner says twelve fifty it generally means $1,250.00 not $12.50. One twenty five = $125.00.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited October 04, 1999).]

Is there any absolute way to confirm that the gun is new or little used? How do I know that if they have shot the gun about 200 rounds, and cleaned up and say it is brand new?

When selling a gun, it is worth more if you have the box that can with it. This is so it can be sold as new by unscrupulous dealers! I can't count how many times I've been offered a used gun as new. REALLY be skeptical! Look for finish wear from holsters and for scratches in the finish. If you are truely interested, ask to field strip it to look at wear points.

Luckily, most guns have a long service life so most used guns are fine.

If you're into military guns (M1 Garands, Carbines, 1911s, AR15, M14s etc.), be very careful of the parts. Some unscrupulous folks will refinish a worn part, making it appear new. If you know the specs, bring your micrometer, otherwise, mail order from a reputable dealer.

If you're into buying, go late on Sunday after you scouted out the place. Dealers want to pack up and are more willing to make a deal (so they won't have to haul the stuff back).

You can get some decent deals in cleaning brushes and sometimes gunsmithing/armorer's tools at gunshows. I tend to go for the odds and ends rather than firearms acquisition. Right now I'm looking for a pair of mounted bull horns (flea market stuff) to make some powder horns from.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

One of the handiest items that I've found to carry with me at a gun show is the latest issue of the Blue Book (about $28). I usually keep this in my shoulder carried bag and often refer to it during my shopping. Since I'm interested in private party sales only, I have a distinct advantage over the average gun show shopper.

In addition, I agree with carrying a lot of cash. You just never know if the next person who walks into a show is going to be toting your dream. Especially with high priced items, you'll have a distinct advantage over your competition for that item if you came prepared to buy. But you have to know what a deal is, you have to know the market. I often refer to prices on the internet or in Gun List or News, although that usually doesn't do much good for someone just looking for a buyer.

On magazines and accessories, you absolutely have to know the market, or you'll just spend too much. Many gun show dealers and regulars know the market well. You'll know when you're dealing with someone who doesn't know the market...but you should know it nonetheless.

Inspections. Again, since I'm interested only in private sales it is important to be mildly aggressive. If you see someone walking around with a pistol case, shoulder bag, or something nice slung over their shoulder you need to step up and ask them, "Do you have something you want to sell?". These will usually be the best bargains of the show. And by all means if you see someone showing something from their bag to someone else that you may be interested in, get over there...stick your nose in. Again, most show goers do not come prepared to make purchases...you will be.

People (private) selling guns at shows tend to be in need of cash for something other than guns, or to buy another gun. Some people just aren't interested in them anymore and want to get rid of them. Whatever reason they may have...you should only be interested in one thing. Getting the best deal on exactly what you want.

Usually if you choose only items LNIB or NIB or with their original box/paperwork/etc. you'll be in good shape. It is easy to tell a 98% gun from a 78% gun. Some folks think they have a 95% piece when it really may only be 80%. You need to look inside the gun for firing residue, scratches, wear, and anything looking repaired or altered. Look into the barrel with a small bore light. Look at the outer appearance. You should be concentrating on items in the 98%+ range, which will be LNIB, NIB, or have had little use. Ask the seller how many rounds have been fired, is he the original owner, how long he has owned it...get the history.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back