Any brands/weights/types of 30-06 that are NOT safe to use in a Garand?

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
In addition to 150gr Talon ammo which seems to work well, I got about 80 rounds of 180gr soft point hunting ammunition (Remington?). I am curious what are the limits on the types and weights of ammo safe to use in a shortie Garand?

BTW, thus far it proved more accurate than HBAR15 and recoil is not bad...and noise levels aren't bad either. I can see why guys with K98 Mausers might have been envious.

------------------
Oleg

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

From many other posts, I'd say a fair summation is: Faster burning powders such as 4895 are generally better than 4064 and slower, at the upper end of pressures. (4064 is excellent at some 3 to 4 grains under max.) So, with factory ammo being loaded some 2,000 to MAYBE 4,000 psi higher than GI ammo, and loaded with slower powders, EXTENDED use will slam the action through its cycle "harder" than it was really designed for. This is due to higher pressure at the gas port...

It's not that the gun will blow up, so much as break the operating rod or some such.

But you can sight in with your 180s, probably okay; and you can shoot a deer or elk or several, okay. But bangety-bang for several hundred rounds and you may be buying new parts.

It's a lot like normal driving around town and on the highway, versus drag-racing...

FWIW, Art

What's the story with the Talon ammo? Is this the proper ammo I should feed my Garand? I'll probably buy some CMP stuff, but 280 rounds isn't much and I'd like to have a decent quantity.

It seems fine for function (but I do not KNOW, can anyone verify). Accuracy is good (AFAIKT) and muzzle flash is about nil from a "shortie" Garand. Light recoil.

I have shot over 400 rds. of Talon ammo in my Garand. It is great ammo for what I use it for. Cheap, sufficiently accurate ammo to take to the range. I understand that the bullets are a soft steel core with FMJ(put a magnet to a bullet). I was initially doubtful of this design, so I called Mel Bishop Ent. in NV. He said that the ammo is fine. I also tried a Smith compensator on my rifle. It really takes the edge off the recoil. The comps cool because you can screw it on or off without any modifications to your rifle.
LONG LIVE THE GARAND! Everyone should experience the ownership of this legendary rifle. :)

Back