Any books about Rohm guns?

TruthTellers

I've been thinking of picking up the late Bill Goforth's book about H&R Arms Company. I figure it'd be an interesting read about the products of a prolific, yet underrated gun manufacturing company that had existed in one form or another for over 100 years.

Well, when I thought about Mr. Goforth's book on H&R, it got me thinking about books for other manufacturers and I wondered, is there or has anyone written a similar type of book for Rohm?

I hope you take this in the good natured spirit it's intended.

I find it extremely oxymoronic that you would want to read a book about Rohm handguns with a signature of, "Any good revolver > Any good semi auto" :o

All I can offer in the book realm is the Wiki write up of Rohm. Not a book for sure, but some decent info about the company.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Röhm_Gesellschaft

Regards,

Rob

Oh, it's all in good fun. I was just wondering if a book existed.

I have little interest in owning, let alone paying for a Rohm, but I do like reading about obscure firearm manufacturers who've largely been forgotten among the casual shooter crowd, but whose products once had a large share of the gun market.

It's probably not likely anyone has produced a book that is bound to outlast the subject.
Then I guess it's time for me to step up and write such a book.

I think about 70 pages should suffice, right?

Then I guess it's time for me to step up and write such a book

If you do write a book be sure and use the cheapest, most unreliable materials you can get. And make sure it is inaccurate that way you are staying in the spirit of the subject.:D

Last year, my cousin's widow offered go give me a "Smith & Wesson" revolver if I would come and get it because she didn't want it in her house after my cousin died. When I went to pick it up, it was a Rohm RG38 Special snub nose revolver that I took home with me. I had never heard of one so I did some research and I found a forum with some information. It is http://bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13.

The early Rohms, especially the 22s were not good but the later ones, especially the 38s appear to be good. Mine looks good, is tight and shoots well. It seems to be as well made as many of the revolvers of the 60s. I don't know if it had ever even been shot until I shot it.

Similar story, someone had a gun from some gone relative. I was offered it because the family member didn't want it around.

It was a rohm .25auto. This gun seemed like it was made from the same materials as some of the cap guns from my childhood. Never fired it.

It's peculiar; I've likewise wound up with a Rohm as the result of a death in the family. In each of our cases, I guess it's a combination of "he likes guns" and "nobody else wants this." ;) I believe it's an RG38 although it looks different than many RG38 pictures I see online; perhaps Rohm redesigned the gun in the 80s, which seems to be the consensus for when mine was purchased.

It's the least accurate handgun I've ever fired—it patterns rather than groups, with not-infrequent 4" flyers at 3 yards!—and the finish reminds me of matte black VHT rattle-can engine paint; it makes my Mosin-Nagants look good by comparison. :rolleyes:

This thread reminds me that I really ought to figure out something to do with this thing!

If someone writes this book, I'll have to put it on my bookshelf next to Daewoo Motors: Modern Classics and The Vought F7U Cutlass: An Operational History. ;) :D

I must be a rarity then,,,

I did not inherit my RG,,,
I purchased it as my very first handgun.

It was back in 1964 or 1965,,,
I do remember that I was 12 years old.

I was at a garage sale with my Mom,,,
I saw the gun, 44 rounds of .22 short, and the original box.

The price was $5.00,,,
I had the money and Mom wasn't looking.

sns-l.jpg

The front sight fell off in that first box of shorts,,,
The gun quit working with 2-3 rounds left,,,
The DA would not rotate the cylinder.

But hey, it was a real gun and I was an American boy,,,
It was a match made in heaven.

I had forgotten all about the gun,,,
Back in 1999 my sister found a box of my stuff in her attic,,,
It was a box I had packed to store when I went into the Air Force in 1970.

Imagine my surprise when in the toe of a pair of hippie boots,,,
I found this gun rolled up in an old sock.

I just had to shoot it at least once,,,
So I manually turned the cylinder and popped one round.

I still have it and will keep it simply for nostalgia's sake.

Aarond

If there is a book about all the high quality RG guns, it would be a leaflet printed with the title and author on the front, and the back would be blank. All the RGs I have ever seen worked well enough when new, but were never intended to be confused with a high-quality product.

I do remember reading some years ago an article somewhere.
The article talk about the 'Saturday Night Special' aspect of them but also, Rohm guns were also preferred by cash-strapped night watchmen. They were unarmed mostly, but wanted some protection just in case. Even some armed watchmen carried them as backup pieces.

It's peculiar; I've likewise wound up with a Rohm as the result of a death in the family. In each of our cases, I guess it's a combination of "he likes guns" and "nobody else wants this." I believe it's an RG38 although it looks different than many RG38 pictures I see online; perhaps Rohm redesigned the gun in the 80s, which seems to be the consensus for when mine was purchased.

It's the least accurate handgun I've ever fired—it patterns rather than groups, with not-infrequent 4" flyers at 3 yards!—and the finish reminds me of matte black VHT rattle-can engine paint; it makes my Mosin-Nagants look good by comparison.

When I said mine shot well, I meant it goes bang every time I pull the trigger. The accuracy is a different matter. I thought it was because it has a 2" barrel and that is why they call them a belly gun. I can't hit anything with it but I only loaded it once to see how it shot and I stopped after I emptied it once. I will keep it only because it once belonged to may favorite cousin who gave it to his brother before he died.

My first handgun was a 22LR Rohm revolver. I was around 13-14 and bought it from a neighbor for $20. All I remember was loading and pulling the trigger and listening to it go "bang, click, click, bang, click, bang, click click..."

I forgot about it one time and left it over the winter in my tacklebox and it rusted away. :(

Fond memories.

Back when I was a youngster I used to see RG's for sale in Army/Navy stores (Army/Navy stores used to sell, oddly enough...army and navy surplus stuff). They sold for about 19-29 bucks...something like that. I never looked at them closely because I was too young to buy one, and at either price, might as well have cost a million dollars. I didn't have either. But I could at least dream about owning one. RG revolvers and Raven 25's kept the dream alive.

Not too long ago, my favorite gun store got in from somewhere a like new, in the box, RG. They wanted $79.00 for it. I was tempted to offer $29.99 and I'll bet they'd have taken it, but the trigger pull was so heavy I literally could not pull it. Not the D/A. The S/A. :eek:

They must have sold it. Or junked it.

Back