Antler care?

Mr. Hill

I just got my elk antler wall mount from the taxidermist. He did a great job and they look really good. I was going to wipe them off with a towel and warm water just to remove some dirt, but that got me thinking: is there a proper way to care for antlers? Do they need to be periodically cleaned or conditioned with something? I don't want to have a polish or anything, I prefer the natural texture and look, but if there's something I can or should use to bring out the colors a bit, I'd consider it.

I have 1 mounted whitetail head on my wall that is 26 yrs old and all I ever do is dust it, still looks like it did the day I shot it.

Indoors and out of the sun, they pretty much last forever. Dusting is about all that's ever needed. (Gently vacuum the hair/hide.)

It's just the antlers that are mounted, no head/shoulders on the mount.

Edited to add, will the brushed paste wax cause them to look shiney or polished? If so, to what degree? What brand of paste wax do you suggest? Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Maybe I'm weird but I like the tree shavings from them rubbing. I have never needed wax or any polish. Soap and water should do

Thank you for the great advice!

I used warm soapy water and a clean old washcloth. It was amazing how much dirt came off of each antler. I had to change the water after the first antler. What's great is the detail and color that were revealed. I can actually see streaks of the ivory color running up some of the antlers, and the white tips are much brighter! Thankfully retained that dark shade that I like, too.

Thank you all for the great advice! A lot of outstanding knowledge and experience here. It (once again) made a big difference.

Back