Anti's having a hissy in LA?

Elker_43

I caught a quick bit of news this morning about a police department auctioning off a Beretta 9mm, but failed to find out just where in Los Angeles this was happening. The anti's were in an all out attack and the media was playing it up. Something about "why don't they auction off turkeys and hams" or some such dribble.
I would like to find out where I can buy a ticket, anyone know of the details?

------------------
To own firearms is to affirm that freedom and liberty are not gifts from the state.

Not too much to add. Apparently, organizers of an annual holiday fund raising raffle at one L.A. County Sheriff's Department station came up with the idea.
The winner will have to pass a background check, but Sheriff Lee Baca, an outspoken advocate of stricter gun control laws, was unaware of the raffle.

http://www.latimes.com/news/state/19991229/t000118585.html

Sheriff's Station Draws Fire for Raffling Gun
By TINA DAUNT, Times Staff Writer

This year, organizers of the annual holiday fund-raising raffle at the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Lennox station have come up with a grand prize that will help the winner get the new century off to a bang: a gleaming new 9-millimeter Beretta handgun.

At just $1 a ticket, the chance to pick up one of the powerful semiautomatic pistols that have become American law enforcement's sidearm of choice has made the contest a hit with deputies and the public.

But even though sheriff's officials say the winner will undergo a background check before claiming the gun, the giveaway has angered gun control advocates and some members of the department, whose leader, Sheriff Lee Baca, has become an outspoken advocate of stricter gun control laws. Or the winner can take cash.

On Tuesday, Baca said he was unaware of the prize offer and would consider adopting a policy that would limit participation in such raffles to law enforcement personnel.

"I want to make sure we are not sending mixed messages," Baca said. "I don't want us to be viewed as a source for weapons. . . . Purchasing a raffle ticket for the sake of raising funds should be done by sworn people. Let the general public find their guns elsewhere."

Baca said that in this instance he would require a trigger lock to be placed on the weapon.

In recent years, it has become increasingly common for police agencies to raffle off guns--and other law enforcement gear--to raise money for their departments.

Although sheriff's officials estimate that the majority of ticket buyers are law enforcement officers, members of the public usually are not precluded from participating in the contests.

"In most instances like this, 95% of the tickets are sold to law enforcement," said Capt. Doyle Campbell, a department spokesman. "It's mostly an internal thing. . . . The tag that brings in law enforcement is a chance to win a Beretta. It's not a big deal."

But gun control advocates said such prizes should be banned.

"Whatever happened to hams and turkeys and lawn mowers as prizes?" said Ben Bycel, the executive director of Women Against Gun Violence. "Offering a gun that is basically a powerful concealed weapon makes no sense at all. It sends a mixed message to the public at large."

The Lennox deputies are hoping to raise $4,000 to $5,000 to pay for their participation in an annual law enforcement relay race between Baker, Calif., and Las Vegas.

The raffle tickets are being distributed throughout the Lennox station's district, which includes Lawndale and unincorporated areas around Inglewood and Hawthorne. Campbell said he is unsure how many tickets have been sold so far for the drawing, which will be held Feb. 16. At least one member of the public reported buying a ticket at a coin laundry.

Campbell said the contest winner will be given the option of taking the handgun or a $500 cash prize. If the gun is chosen, the winner will be given money to purchase the Beretta from a Long Beach gun store that does business with the Sheriff's Department. The store will conduct the state-required background check before releasing the weapon.

"There's the same waiting period," Campbell said. "Nothing is skirted in this instance. We are not just giving the gun away."

Although Campbell defended the contest, other department members said the sheriff should adopt a policy regulating such fund-raisers.

"Given today's climate, it would be appropriate if it was limited to law enforcement," said one department official, who asked not to be identified.

In recent months, Baca has been pushing for tougher laws on gun control. At a news conference in August, Baca and Los Angeles Police Chief Bernard C. Parks joined a majority of the Board of Supervisors in supporting an ordinance banning the sale of guns and ammunition on all Los Angeles County-owned property. "L.A. County is not a frontier county anymore," Baca said at the time.

He also serves on the advisory board for Women Against Gun Violence.

"He has been completely outspoken on the issue of gun violence," said Bycel, the group's executive director. "You really can't have it both ways. Either you are trying to prevent gun violence or you are not."

Times staff writer Larry Harnisch contributed to this story.

- 30 -

Tina can be reached at -- Tina.Daunt@latimes.com

Now, if we could only find the mail address for that raffle -- another Hobgood in the making?

------------------
The New World Order has a Third Reich odor.

I just spoke to a very nice deputy at the Lennox District Office.

If you want to buy tickets, they will sell them to out of state buyers:

address (for the station)

4331 Lennox Blvd
Inglewood CA 90304

We didn't discuss proper methods of payment, I will just risk it and send them a five dollar bill.

If you want the number at the station, e-mail me privately, or do your own research. I don't want them burried with calls, they've got more important work to do, afterall.

[This message has been edited by deanf (edited December 30, 1999).]

No offense to the nice officer at the Lennox station, but does anyone else see a problem here? It's ok to raffle to anyone from out of state, but only LEO's in state. What does that say to the fair citizens of California or for that matter the rest of the country. Are they better or worse? More or less intellectual? Is this like trafficking guns across state lines for illicit purposes? How about a California gun lottery!? That might spark some interest in the state lottery system. Hey Baca! WTH, over! The anti's might accuse you of being, uh how do you say, an elitist hypocrit. The choice of a Beretta is most appropriate as Beretta seems to be leading the charge against the smart gun and gun control in general and seems willing to fight the good fight with well thoughtout reason and research. I may send those folks $5 just for rubbing it in the Sheriff's redface. Sounds like the sheriff may not be that popular with the troops. I'm sure this will only increase his popularity- with the troops that is.

I can't see from the article that they've limited it to just LE in CA yet.

I think we also need to keep in mind that this seems to be a private operation not officially affiliated with the LASD. Officers just happen to be using SD facilities. They could easily take all raffle ops off SD property and not have to worry about what the Sherrif says.

Is this in LA county? I thought guns were not allowed to be on county property as the gun show ban laws were trying to do. Unless its only police, as civilians and la county grounds with guns dont mix.

Here again is an example of the rift that forms between LEO's and all us others when their leader says he doesnt trust us. LB, you better watch out what you wish for, as you may get your full gun ban, and it could have some reprecussions.

This is BS.
I remember walking into WALMARTS who had Gun Clubs at a table in the foyer area that had rifles and pistols on display availble to be won via raffles.

Are Those the Good Old Days?

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"...Ben Bycel, the executive director of Women Against Gun Violence."[/quote]

Ben? That's a strange name for a woman, isn't it? Perhaps this refrain can be heard all too frequently within WAGV headquarters.

WHAT!!! They will only sell raffle tickets to out-of-state individuals. This politically correct (or incorrect) crap in this country (especially Kalifornia) has got to stop. This is total discrimination against the citizens of this state if they will not sell us a raffle ticket. I'm going to call them and find out for sure (with my attorney on the other line). Our country is in bigger trouble than I ever imagined.

------------------
To own firearms is to affirm that freedom and liberty are not gifts from the state.

I'm not sure what you're reading, but there is no indication in the article above, and no other indication that they won't sell to any CA resident. I just mentioned that they will sell to out of state people.

The fine hand of Lee Baca at work again.
http://www.latimes.com/news/state/20000105/t000001454.html

Wednesday, January 5, 2000

Baca Switches Sheriff's Dept. Raffle Prize From Gun to Cash

Fund-raiser: The decision, coming in the wake of criticism from weapons control advocates, extends to all future drawings at stations as well.

By TINA DAUNT, Times Staff Writer

Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca said Tuesday that he is banning all gun giveaways in his department and will hand out $500 in cash to the grand prize winner in next month's Lennox station raffle, instead of the 9-millimeter handgun promised when the fund-raiser tickets were sold.

"We will not now or ever raffle off guns in the Sheriff's Department," said Baca, who has faced mounting criticism from gun control advocates since the terms of the Lennox contest were disclosed by The Times last week.

"It's inappropriate," said Baca, who recently has joined the push for tougher gun control laws.

The sheriff was caught by surprise when first informed that his department's Lennox station was offering the winner of its annual fund-raising raffle the choice of a 9-millimeter Beretta semiautomatic pistol--the sidearm of choice among law enforcement officers--or $500 cash.

In an effort to make sure the department is not sending mixed messages, officials said, the station will offer only cash, regardless of whether the winner is a sworn officer or a civilian.

In the meantime, Baca has suspended all department drawings until he can issue a policy regulating other prizes offered in station fund-raisers.

"Fund-raising is important," said Capt. Garry Leonard, a department spokesman. "We don't want to stop doing it. But we want to make sure we do it right.

"We plan to compose a policy and put it out to the entire department so we all do it the same way and we do it correctly."

Some officials have questioned whether it's legal for the department to hold such fund-raisers. State law prohibits raffles, but deputies have sought to get around the rule by calling their contests "drawings" and asking for voluntary "donations." In the case of the Lennox station, the funds will be used to finance participation in an annual law enforcement relay race.

Leonard said the department is consulting the county counsel's office to determine the best way to proceed in the future.

The Assembly's Governmental Organization Committee will hold hearings on the bill (AB 1010) next week.

The department is also monitoring proposed state legislation that would make it illegal to offer guns as prizes.

"At this point, I'm really interested in
engaging in this dialogue," said Assemblyman Herb Wesson (D-Culver City), who is chairman of the panel. "It's important for us not to send mixed signals.

"On one hand, we're looking at a series of legislation that will deal with the limitations on guns, and on the other hand, we have individuals giving away guns. We need to send one clear message."

In recent years, it has become increasingly common for police agencies to raffle off guns--and other law enforcement gear--to raise money for their departments. Although sheriff's officials estimate that law enforcement officers account for the majority of the people who purchase tickets, members of the public usually are not precluded from participating in the contests.

In the Lennox drawing, tickets are being distributed throughout the station's district, which includes Lawndale and unincorporated areas around Inglewood and Hawthorne. At least one member of the public reported buying a ticket--which calls for a $1 donation--at a local laundermat.

Lennox deputies were hoping to raise $4,000 to $5,000 to pay for their participation in the annual law enforcement relay race between Baker and Las Vegas. Department officials say they are unsure how many tickets have been sold for the drawing, which will be held Feb. 16.

When first asked about the fund-raiser last week, Capt. Doyle Campbell--another department spokesman--said such drawings are not uncommon in the department. "It's not a big deal," he said.

Campbell also said that if a member of the public won the contest and wanted the gun, they would be given $500 to purchase the Beretta from a Long Beach gun store that does business with the department. Spot checks of local gun stores by The Times found that all of those contacted were charging more than $500 for the particular model Beretta on offer at Lennox. Legally, the department cannot distribute guns, Campbell noted. Only gun dealers can distribute weapons, after conducting the state required background check.

Last Thursday, the day after the story appeared in The Times, Campbell revised his statement, however. He said the department would give civilians only cash and would not "facilitate" the purchasing of a weapon from the Long Beach gun store.

While sheriff's officials sought to clarify their position on the matter, gun control advocates continued to question Baca's commitment to stricter gun-control laws. (At a news conference in August, Baca and Los Angeles Police Chief Bernard C. Parks joined a majority of the Board of Supervisors in supporting an ordinance banning the sale of guns and ammunition on all county property.)

Ben Bycel, executive director of Women Against Gun Violence, said Tuesday that Baca has "done the right thing" in banning the gun raffles in his department.

"He made it clear that the giving of handguns is probably inappropriate for a law enforcement agency," Bycel said. "This is not a time to be moving more guns into society. This is a time to be taking them out of society."

Copyright 2000 Los Angeles Times

-- 30 --

Some observations: [you all might have one or two others :)]
"'It's inappropriate,' said Baca".
That seems to be the next anti-gun buzz-word. It's been popping up quite a bit lately.

"The department is also monitoring proposed state legislation that would make it illegal to offer guns as prizes."
A legal product, whose winner must pass all legal restrictions, is banned?? Hell, let's go after all those church car raffles!

"'This is not a time to be moving more guns into society. This is a time to be taking them out of society.'"
Oh, DO hurry! The sheep are getting teeth!

------------------
The New World Order has a Third Reich odor.

So, if you entered it with the idea that you could win a pistol, shouldn't you be able to at least get your money back prior to the drawing?

How about if you actually won it - since you entered a contest that had a Baretta or $500 as the prize, what would they do if you said "I want the pistol." If they didn't fork it over, could you sue for the pistol???

Just a thought or two...

------------------
Beginner barbarians probably had the idea that every house they broke into would be full of untouched loot and frightened, unarmed victims. It just doesn't work that way, my friend.

I hope these evil men come to understand our peaceful ways soon - My trigger finger is blistering!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>We need to send one clear message.[/quote]

Isn't it the public that's supposed to be sending messages to legislators, not the other way 'round?

Back