Antique Winchester shotguns

The grinch

Inactive
I have two Winchester shotguns. One is a 1929 model 12 field edition with checkered walnut stock the other is 1924 model 1896 standard field edition. Posted a couple of pics. Anybody know the value of these guns?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 53
Condition is everything on model 12's - and on all older shotguns.....and the values vary quite a bit around the county...and it will depend how they are choked ...and the chamber length....on each of them.

$ 300 - $ 400 is probably average in my area.../ if the 12 ga's are 2 3/4" chambers ...and if they are Modified choke. If they're Full choked ( $ 100 less ) / if the 12ga chambers are shorter than 2 3/4" ..there isn't much value except as wall hangers. ( remember shotshells are measured - as spent hulls ) so don't assume because a 2 3/4" shell fits, they've chambered in 2 3/4"....

you should take them to a knowledgeable local shop / gunsmith have them checked and evaluated....

Thanks for post. The model 12 has 28" barrel and finish is fair/good. Would be good but there is a few cleaned rust pits on receiver. That being said whomever cleaned the rust did a good job with no scratches in the finish really otherwise. The 1896 is the one I really like( hammer does it). Unfortunately someone steel wooled it as the striations are visible. Since I plan on keeping it I plan on having it refinished someday. Oh yeah they are both 12 gauge.

FWIW, there's no such thing as a Winchester Model 1896 shotgun made in 1924, or any other year for that matter.

AFAIK, The only Winchester shotguns made prior to 1964 were:

* The 1879-ish SxS's imported from England
* The Model 1887 lever
* The Model 1893 pump
* The Model 1897/97 pump
* The Model 1901 lever
* The Model 1911 self-loader
* The Model 12 & Model 25 pumps
* The Model 36 & 37/370 break-open single-shots
* The Model 21 & Model 24 SxS double-barreled guns
* The Model 40 self-loader
* The Model 41 boltgun
* The Model 42 pump
* The Model 50 & 59 auto-loaders.

Most gunshops will tend to evaluate guns very low - in case they want to buy.

The best way to assess value, besides putting one up in a widely-attended guns-only auction, is to surf "sold" gun auctions only, for similar models in like condition, to find out how much somebody's actually been willing to pay, for whatever - recently, not whenever.

Last edited:
value aside, I love old guns, even in just fair condition. Love to shoot them too! Model 12 is a classic...

The Winchester Model 1911 Self Loader - listed above - is considered to be the most poorly engineered - and MOST DANGEROUS shotgun EVER produced in America. - Bargain hunters searching for inexpensive weapons would do well to avoid it altogether.

Here's a Model 40 serial 1638 made in 1939 its really pretty clean, but not one of Winchesters better ideas.

407545705.jpg

Back