Antique Muzzle Loader Shotgun

Carson1023

Anyone know what this thing is worth, if it is real, and when it may have been made?? Any further info on how I could determine the age of this firearm would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5728.jpg
    IMG_5728.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_5730.jpg
    IMG_5730.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5729.jpg
    IMG_5729.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 119
My SWAG says 1850's

Sold one like this a couple of years back. Never could find out much about it as back then they were quite prolific. Sold mine for $350.00 and the guy never hesitated. There are guys out here that live and breath this stuff and I admire them. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
You can take the barrels off and maybe find proof marks to determine country of origin. my WAG on that is Belgium.

Sorry for such a late update, I've been busy. But anyways, I have a couple of pics of the barrel with some proof marks. So if anyone wants to take a whack at trying to ID these proof marks, go for it.

IMG_5838.jpg

IMG_5837.jpg

I can't identify the proof marks. But double barreled shotguns made in Belgium and England came here literally by the boatload. Most found today have very little value. Some are still shooters. But a competent muzzle loading gunsmith needs to check it out before you load up.

Thanks for the info Rifleman1776. I wasn't planning on shooting this particular muzzleloader, but I will definitely have it checked out, just to know. Anyways, so I don't take up more posts. Here are a couple more pics of the proof marks. They are close ups and much more clear, but the marks themselves even at eye view, aren't very defined. Here they are. Anyone good at proof marks??

IMG_5848.jpg

IMG_5847.jpg

Hahaha. I posted this up on a muzzleloader forum also, and I have had several say Belgian due to the style of the gun itself, but the proof marks seem to be rather difficult to ID for anybody. The only guesses I have gotten back about the proof marks are Belgian or a possible Birmingham.

There is one sure fire test with out exception all of the English guns I have and or worked on have been soft soldered all of the Belgian guns that I have run across have been brassed. Just run a sharp pointed pocket knife along the rib (I check under the forend) if you see silver its most likely English, if you see gold its Belgian. My bet is on English, let me know.

Bob

@ Hawg Haggen

Nice link. It has quite a few more proof marks than what I have been able to find. I'll have to check and compare more thoroughly when I have the time.

@ RwBeV

Interesting observation. I'll have to try that out. I will get back to you when I do.

@ RwBev

I tested your theory by gently running a knife along a small section of the rib. I only did about a half an inch worth, as I don't want to mark up the gun. The result was a strip of silver where the knife had made its course. Your theories relevance can't really be put to the test with this particular gun, due to the proof marks being so difficult to read. But from what I can make out, they do compare the best to some of the Birmingham marks, which does help with your theory, as those are English marks.

If its soft soldered you can just about bet its english, Im still digging for my proof mark book if I can find it I will let you know.

Bob

Back