Antique H&R 44 cal shotgun

dstnwst

Inactive
I previously posted this on another forum, but thought I would try here as well.

I have an old model H&R 44 cal shotgun, s/n 3834. Patent dates on it are Feb 27 1900 (I believe), and May 14 1901. Is there any way to determine a manufacture date? I believe this particular model was made between 1905 and 1915, but I would like to narrow that down some. Also, any ideas about value?
From what I have gleened from the internet, the 44 cal shotgun eventually evolved into the 44/410, and later just to 410 gauge. I believe for the H&R guns the 44/410 came out in or around 1915 and the 410 ga. in the '20's. Feel free to correct me on any of this. I know that mine was from the 1905-1915 era because of the break-down pin. After 1915 they used a different method, but I cannot remember what that was.

44 cal shotgun

I don't think so. This is a smooth bore gun and the steel is only about 3/32" thick at the end of the barrel. It is stamped ".44 Caliber" on the barrel near the breach. It is a single shot and breaks open for breach loading. Everything that I have found on the internet about the gun indicates that it is a shotgun and not intended for use as a rifle.

Back