Antique .45 ACP

cloak

Inactive
Hi,

I'm looking to buy an antique pistol but I'm not having any luck finding one online. The antiques I've seen either don't look like a gun (they don't even have a trigger) or they do look like a great antique pistol but though listed as an antique, they have all the legalities of a modern handgun. Where can I find a nice antique .45 online that can legally be mailed straight to me?

You'd have to invent time travel for that. As the name indicates, the 1911 was made AFTER 1898 - which means it's not an antique. Even the 45 ACP wasn't developed until 1904.

Welcome to TFL !

AFAIK, NO .45ACP handgun can be legally mailed to you, under Federal Law - w/o going through an FFL.

Also AFAIK, legally, an "antique" needs to have been made prior to 1898; although some post-1898 handguns are classified as "curios & relics".

Any firearm over 50 years old can be a C&R, and may not be listed here:

http://www.atf.gov/files/publicatio.../p-5300-11-firearms-curios-or-relics-list.pdf

The C&R listing has been updated by BATF several times: http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/curios-relics/index.html

If interested in a non-listed firearm over 50 years old, I would strongly advise checking directly with BATF to find out if the particular gun is OK or not.

Oh, I'm sure somewhere out there are some early Webley revolvers converted to 45 ACP with halfmoon clips. Nothing like a blackpowder gun with 20,000 psi loads to make your day exciting.

But a Curio & Relic firearm can be shipped directly to you ONLY if you have a Collector's Federal Firearms License. Without that FFL, the gun would have be be shipped to your local dealer.

Jim

As has been stated ---the 45 ACP (Automatic Colts Pistol) cartridge
didn't exist until after 1900, so no antique.

Depending on where you live, you may be able to get black powder
firearms delivered directly to you. Either single shot or revolvers, they
load with loose powder and round or conical bullets.

I'm guessing that you just want something that LOOKS like an old pistol,
and that 3 minutes ago you had no idea what ACP stood for.:)

Welcome to the forum.

If you can't walk into a dealer and legally purchase a handgun, you can't purchase a handgun. Just because something was made in 1898 doesn't mean it isn't a firearm.

"Just because something was made in 1898 doesn't mean it isn't a firearm."

It may be a "firearm" in the general meaning of the word, but the federal laws define terms used in the law for the purpose of the law. The FFA states that if a gun was made prior to 1 January 1899 or does not use fixed ammunition, it is an antique firearm and NOT a "firearm" under that law. But another Federal Law, the NFA, defines terms differently, so (for example) a machinegun made in 1898 (there are some) is still a "firearm" under that law.

Jim

Last edited:

FYI, cloak - From BATF:

http://permanent.access.gpo.gov/lps41631/2005/p53004.pdf

(16) The term "antique firearm" means

(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or

(B) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica —

. .(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or

. .(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade

(C) any muzzle loading rifle, muzzleloading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition.

For purposes of this subparagraph, the term "antique firearm" shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.

Not everybody goes by BATF definitions. Some state law is stricter. Post Office regulations are stricter.
And anything you might have about you to amount to "going armed" is regulated in many jurisdictions.
You can mail order a cap & ball revolver with no Federal interference. Try wearing it downtown and see how far you get. Or don't, because you won't get far.

well I hope you are a new member and not a troll because many times trolls have very low post counts and post 'where can I get a machinegun" or "where can I get a **** off the record" type of postings and yours almost seems as if that could be the case being that you want to avoid a gunshop or gunshow...now if you are not a troll don't take offense to what I just said. Gun forums are baited by ATF and their informants and antigunners all the time trying to pin charges against otherwise helpful folks so pardon my distrust.

Now that that is out of the way...For a while there were Argentine 45s available "through the mail" if you have your C&R. I don't know who may have them for sale now.

So why is it you want to go through the mail (UPS whatever) for this purchase?

Ballester Molina

I traded for one at a gun show and I love it.

It was built in about 1942. It performs that same as my brand new RIA 1911, which performs the same as the Springfield 1911s I used in the Navy.

Go to a gun show.

You can handle all kinds of firearms so you can make an intelligent choice. You will find more variety available than most gun shops and you don't have to worry about the mail. You pays your money. They does the background check if it is needed. You gets the pistol you wants.

Back