Antique .22 question

Aaron1100us

I have a Hamilton model 15 .22lr rifle with an 8 inch barrel made in 1900. It does shoot but I hardly ever take it out. Since it is a shoulder fired rifle with an 8 inch barrel, does that classify it as an SBR? Or does it not matter because it's a 112 year old .22 rifle? Just curious, thanks.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

The ATF has an extensive list of old firearms that shoot modern cartridges. Because of the low likelihood they will be involved in a crime, the guns listed are considered exempt from the modern laws. Go to the ATF website and see if yours is listed.

C&R's still have to abide by NFA rules. Full-auto Thompsons are C&R as an example.

I have an H&R M4 Survival Rifle (made in 1949 or so), 14" barrel, and it required a transfer stamp even though it is specifically classified as a C&R.

Hmmmm....

"Seems like" BATFE has removed many of oroginal the short bbl Winchester trapper carbines with short barrels from the NFA list "by serial number". Ought to be a mechanism to do that for this as well.

Google that a bit.

Willie

If your Hamilton is not listed among those items that no longer fall under the perview of the NFA, you may request a ruling from BATFE to have it classified as exempt from NFA rules such as the individual Winchester trappers mentioned.

Hamilton Models 7, 11, 15, 19, 23, 27, 027, 31, 35, 39, and 43 rifles are listed in Section III of the Curio and Relics List as "Weapons Removed From The NFA As Collector's Items and Classified as Curios Or Relics Under the GCA."

See page 35 of the Curio and Relics List at Curio and Relics Listing

You're good to go.

Last edited:
Back