Anti-Gun literature - let's make fun of it :)

Neal Boortz (www.boortz.com) linked to this story. More inane, uninformed drivel from the left. Enjoy!

Christina Freyman
Advertising Manager
Staff Editorial
ATLANTA
October 8, 1999

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns are bad. They hurt, kill, and affect millions of lives every year. There are very few people out there that haven't had their lives touched in some way by guns.
People try to convince me that society needs guns, the society can handle guns. Why exactly does one need a gun? One reason I have been told is to protect oneself. Hmmm, from what? Others with guns I assume. Now, if no one had guns then we wouldn't be threatened with guns.

You need to hunt. Even though I don't think people need to hunt because we don't live in a society where we need to scrounge for food, hunting has one good result: animal population control in a world in which we have destroyed the natural cycle of the food chain. Dare we stop our uncontroled sprawl into the animal's natural habitat or our killing of natural predators, we think that shooting is the best solution. One doesn't need a hand gun to shoot deer nor do you need more than a couple guns. Who really takes their guns out to the woods and chooses one out of a bag like a golfer chooses a club? One doesn't need fifty rifles, and one definately doesn't need hand guns to kill any type of animal that isn't human. This country has no need for hand guns unless we love reading about tragedies in the newspaper and really just want to experience one ourselves.

People say a solution would be to enforce the existing gun laws. Larry Ashbrook walked into the Ft. Worth church and started shooting with guns that he had acquired legally. The day he shot was the day of a national event called "See You at the Pole" where Junior and High School students gathered that morning around the flag pole at their school and prayed. Some prayed for their school, some prayed for the country. And one might have prayed for the sad guy who lived down the street. The guy had no criminal record and no existing law could have kept him from getting a gun. He walked into a church that evening that was holding a post "See You at the Pole" rally and took out his anger with religion on the innocent students inside.

George W. Bush responded with a call for more love. More love? We live in a world with very little love. People don't like other people because of a whole host of small details like the color of their skin, what religion they follow, who they fall in love with, what nationality they are, where they live, etcetera. This country is divided by bitter class and race lines and George calls for more love? Yes, we need more love. If we all loved then we would have no need for guns to protect us. People are taught to hate in this world, and until they are taught to love, people are going to keep on killing.

Yes, even if we take away all the guns, then people will still kill people. There is bunch of ways of doing it, knives for one. But one can't walk into a Jewish day care in California and stab a bunch of kids in a small amount of time. Guns allow people to kill lots of people in a small amount of time. If you have to walk up to someone and stab then you have to be close. Close enough to realize that you are killing them to really mean to kill them, to really think about killing them. It is a lot more personal. With guns one can be fairly far away. You can drive by, not even see your victim fall. Guns are impersonal. Guns are a more efficient way of killing and do we really want a more efficient way of killing?

Guns should be outlawed. At the very least, handguns should be outlawed. We are in a circular argument with the protection from others with guns argument. Guns won't be outlawed. We live in a society of self-centered people who are more afraid of their right to kill with guns being taken away than concerned with making this country a better place. The second amendment, the right to bear arms, was written to give the people of the 1700s the means to rise against a tyrannical government if needed. Let me break it to you. Your guns aren't going to protect you against the Defense Department's weapons. You shooting your .45 at the tank outside your house isn't going to make a dent. All the guns in the world won't protect you from the thermo-nuclear blast that this country could produce.

Until we, as a society, look beyond our selfish fears and give up our guns, we are going to continue to see tragedies like what happen in Ft. Worth, California, and right here in Atlanta this summer. Like I said, guns are bad.

Basically these peoples' statements are all the same. "Guns are bad, hunting is bad, you are bad, and I am much smarter than you."
Boy I sure am glad my guns are in a 700lb safe here in my house. I can hear them banging on the door to get out now, load themselves, and go on a shooting spree.

------------------
Adapt, Innovate, Overcome

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>One doesn't need fifty rifles...[/quote]

I want to know how many pairs of shoes this person has in her closet? Who is she to tell me I can't have 50 rifles, or even 500 if I can afford them?

JP

I have a difficult time believing that this editorial is not a hoax. It is just too poorly organized and written.

Mr. Gansta-
Say it ain't so.
Rich

Rich, I was with you for a minute, but look who wrote it. It's a staff editorial by the Advertising Manager. To be brutally honest, it's on a par with a lot of the freshmen I've tutored here at school, meaning it's not hard to believe that a person with a high school education could have written it. It should have been heavily edited but perhaps they don't edit staff editorials for some reason. Who knows? Is there a link?

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

As far as I can ascertain it is true...however

The author is the advertizing manager of the student run campus newspaper at Georgia Tech...where it was printed.

http://cyberbuzz.gatech.edu/technique/master.php3?issue=10.8.99&season=fall 1999&section=ops&page=17

Here are "feedback" addresses (evil grin): http://cyberbuzz.gatech.edu/technique/master.php3?section=feedback&page=feedback

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

[This message has been edited by DC (edited October 11, 1999).]

An open letter to Christina -

Christina, I used to tear apart mediocre prose like yours, but I suppose I'm tired this evening. (I think a lot of us are in this category at this point ...) Let's just say you are simplistic, your arguments are sophomoric, someone should help you get a grasp on the realities of this world, and ... hold on to your hat - you are incredibly ignorant about your subject. Of course, another reason for making this answer short is that I'm sure you don't give a damn about a logical argument here - you're just 'feeling your way' on this one.

As long as you treat your opposition like idiots, then you should expect like treatment in return. I hope someone also teaches you that advertising managers are smart to avoid ticking off large numbers of readers - it isn't good for revenues, dear.

How's this?

Guns are bad.
****Why do you say this?

They hurt, kill, and affect millions of lives every year.
*****They also save thousands of lives every year.

There are very few people out there that haven't had their lives touched in some way by guns.
****True, some good and some bad, not all bad.

People try to convince me that society needs guns, the society can handle guns.
*****Society can criminals can not.

Why exactly does one need a gun?
*****I will give you 5 good reasons.
1. It is our second amendment right.
2. For protection
3. For hunting
4. For recreation
5. For a collection

One reason I have been told is to protect oneself.Hmmm, from what? Others with guns I assume. Now, if no one had guns then we
wouldn't be threatened with guns.
*****True. Except that will never happen. Do you think if they ban guns that will stop criminals from getting them and using them?

You need to hunt. Even though I don't think people need to hunt because we don't live
in a society where we need to scrounge for food, hunting has one good result: animal
population control in a world in which we have destroyed the natural cycle of the food
chain. Dare we stop our uncontroled sprawl into the animal's natural habitat or our
killing of natural predators, we think that shooting is the best solution. One doesn't
need a hand gun to shoot deer nor do you need more than a couple guns.
******How do you think you know this? Have you ever hunted? I wouldnt think
so seeing that you are saying guns are bad.

Who really takes their guns out to the woods and chooses one out of a bag like a golfer chooses a
club?
*****People that own many guns.

One doesn't need fifty rifles,
****Who are you to say what one can have and what one can not have?

and one definately doesn't need hand guns to kill any type of animal that isn't human.
******Are you saying that some animals are human or that its ok to kill
humans but not animals?

This country has no need for hand guns unless we love reading about tragedies in the newspaper and really just want to experience one
ourselves.
*******By NOT having a gun you may really want to experience one of these tragedies.
Do you think that car crashes, drownings, heart attacks, ect. will go away if
you ban guns? There are tragedies every day and they are not all firearm realted.

People say a solution would be to enforce the existing gun laws.
****Correction: SMART people say a solution would be to enforce the
existing gun laws.

Larry Ashbrook walked
into the Ft. Worth church and started shooting with guns that he had acquired legally.
The day he shot was the day of a national event called "See You at the Pole" where
Junior and High School students gathered that morning around the flag pole at their
school and prayed. Some prayed for their school, some prayed for the country. And one
might have prayed for the sad guy who lived down the street. The guy had no criminal
record and no existing law could have kept him from getting a gun. He walked into a
church that evening that was holding a post "See You at the Pole" rally and took out
his anger with religion on the innocent students inside.

*****Yep! That is unfortunately what criminals do. They do not care what kind
of event it is, they are criminals. Banning guns will not make them go away.
Now if one of those people had been armed, Larry wouldnt havent gotten as
far as he did, would he?

George W. Bush responded with a call for more love. More love? We live in a world with
very little love. People don't like other people because of a whole host of small details
like the color of their skin, what religion they follow, who they fall in love with, what
nationality they are, where they live, etcetera. This country is divided by bitter class
and race lines and George calls for more love? Yes, we need more love. If we all loved
then we would have no need for guns to protect us.
******Yes we do need more love. Tell that to the rapist that is breaking in
your house in the middle of the night. Sure, he will love you more!

People are taught to hate in this
world, and until they are taught to love, people are going to keep on killing.
****People will continue to kill as long as the earth spins. We can not
change that, but we can protect ourselves.

Yes, even if we take away all the guns, then people will still kill people. There is bunch
of ways of doing it, knives for one.
****I'm glad to see that you admit that.

But one can't walk into a Jewish day care in
California and stab a bunch of kids in a small amount of time. Guns allow people to kill
lots of people in a small amount of time.
*******Terrorisim-bombs kill way more people in small amount of time. Stop that.
Why wouldnt a bunch of kids get stabbed? Because someone would stop the bad guy.
Therefore, if the bad guy had a gun and someone else had a gun, they would
stop the bad guy just as quick, if not quicker, before a buncha kids are shot.
Right?

If you have to walk up to someone and stab
then you have to be close. Close enough to realize that you are killing them to really
mean to kill them, to really think about killing them. It is a lot more personal. With guns
one can be fairly far away. You can drive by, not even see your victim fall. Guns are
impersonal. Guns are a more efficient way of killing and do we really want a more
efficient way of killing?

*****Yes we would always like to see a more efficient way to defend ourselves.
Guns are personal if they are legal, impersonal if they are illegal.

Guns should be outlawed. At the very least, handguns should be outlawed. We are in a
circular argument with the protection from others with guns argument.
****Youre arguing with the constitution?

Guns won't be
outlawed. We live in a society of self-centered people who are more afraid of their right
to kill with guns being taken away than concerned with making this country a better
place.
*******Do you really think this country would be a better place without guns?
If so, you should move to another country where guns are outlawed. See for
yourself how much better it is, be my guest!

The second amendment, the right to bear arms, was written to give the people
of the 1700s the means to rise against a tyrannical government if needed.
*****Can you show me where in the Constitution that it says it was meant for
the people of the 1700's? I would be interested in seeing that.

Let me break
it to you. Your guns aren't going to protect you against the Defense Department's
weapons. You shooting your .45 at the tank outside your house isn't going to make a
dent.
****Let me break it to you dear, the guns are not going to protect anyone against
the 'Defense Dept's weapons', the Constitution will protect us and our guns against
the 'Defense Dept'.

All the guns in the world won't protect you from the thermo-nuclear blast that
this country could produce.
******True. If that happens we are all dead arent we?

Until we, as a society, look beyond our selfish fears and give up our guns, we are going
to continue to see tragedies like what happen in Ft. Worth, California, and right here in
Atlanta this summer. Like I said, guns are bad.
*****Selfish fears?????? I and millions of other American citizens are selfish for
wanting to protect ourselves and our families? Or is it you, the ignorant, that want to ban
guns so you can feel better, while our country fills with more and more crime? Banning
guns is not going to stop these terrible events. Criminals are criminals for a reason
they can get guns any time they want. They can also get drugs anytime they want,
drugs are 'banned' yet they seem to be all over the place, effecting millions
of lives each day. Please explain how banning guns is going to make anything
better?

:)

This article was written by a student for a campus newspaper, right? Well, ranting about a subject that they really have no experience with is typical.

Another characteristic of such writing is the emotional appeal approach. That turns me off in a heartbeat. If you're going to convince me of something, you better have something more than warm fuzzies to offer.

------------------
Exodus 22:2 -- Biblical precedent for home defense.

As a Ga. Tech grad, I'm embarassed. That article was pathetic. And I certainly wouldn't pay to advertise in any newspaper whose staff couldn't even write a coherent article! Where was the editor on this?

In my experience, the vast majority of engineers never learned how to write.

[This message has been edited by Danger Dave (edited October 12, 1999).]

I think it's time to write a guest editorial and submit it to my campus paper. I'm sure they'll be horrified but they love to p*** off the administration and if all else fails I can always just copy it and post it around campus . . . .
Remember, children, today's Extra Special Word is "SUBVERSIVE."
:)

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

Miss Demeanors, Jeff, you guys rock. As a college student sick of the crap that is printed in our sad little newspapers; I salute you.

Correia, thanks for your kind words (I'll have to tell my 15 year old son that I rock - he's not yet convinced ... ;) ), but Miss Demeanors did the heavy lifting on this one.

I would hope that young voices on campuses all across the U.S. would cry out for some honest, factual debate. That used to be respected on campus, along with that fleeting concept ... freedom. And, I think truth and honesty will ultimately win out over political correctness and emotion. If they don't, well then we deserve what we'll get.

Regards from AZ

Back