Another T/C Contender question

triker

I just purchased a SS Contender, super 14. It has pachmyr forearm with one screw about in middle. Has something else holding it towards muzzle end of forearm. Does the forearm slide forward, or snap off a stationary post in the front? I am a newbie to these so someone please help me out here. Would like to get the barrel off. thanks triker

Removal of the screw should let the forearm come off. Then just push the pivot pin out and open the action to remove the barrel. I have some aftermarket pins on mine that require a wooden drift in order to remove them, the factory pin should just slide out though.

Remove forend, open action and push pin out

Then just push the pivot pin out and open the action to remove the barrel.
Guv , I think you meant to say to open the action after removing the forend and then push the hinge pin out. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

My problem is getting the forearm off after removing the screw. There is another pin or something close to front of forearm I can see in there that either the forearm has to slide forward or it snaps off a pin. I need to know which before I go ramming anything. Maybe explaining better, there is a screw and also a hidden pin in the forearm and I need to know how the forearm comes off the hidden pin. All instructions I have seen show 2 screws on the super 14's, but mine has aftermarket (I guess) packmyr forearm and only one screw shows with the other screw hole hidden and holding forearm on somehow. thanks triker

Last edited:
Oops, you have a Pachmayr !!!

My opologies as I forgot that you mentioned you had a Pachmayr Decelerator forend. They have their own special way that is suppose to make it easier to change barrels, once you work with one. Unfortunately, I have not. Perhaps someone can chine in and provide greater assist. All else fails, contact them at;

Consumer & Dealer Sales and Service
800-225-9626
800-423-9704
860-632-2020

Be Safe !!!

Not sure how the pachmyr forend mounts, but the 14 and 16 inch barrels have 2 screws. So obviously the front screw is holding it on somehow. Maybe it just snaps in? Good luck. Ed.

The learning curve !!!

Okay, this thread has bothered me, mainly because I'm very familiar with the Contenders but have never worked with a Pachmayr forend. So I did a little digging in order to be more informed. Take a look at these two links and note the description, on the second. Very interesting if not informative. .... ;)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=404968727

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=405204766
The key to using one Pachmayr forend on 10" and 14" barrels is the adapter. On 14" barrels, the adapter may need a little bit of "help"(taps from a rubber mallet, for example) to seat, and then be difficult to remove. Instead, just leave a tight adapter on the barrel and use spare adapters for other barrels. The Pachmayr forend doesn't work on 16" (except ported 45-75 that takes the 14" forend), 21" or 23" barrels.

Good luck and;
Be safe !!!

mount

The Pachmayr forend is fitted onto and screwed into a tightly fitted mounting bar which is itself first screwed to the Contender barrel.
The forend may need quite a pull to detach after its screw is removed.
Pete

Darkgael, any certain direction it pulls off when get the one screw out? Pull from front, rear, where is best place? I thought maybe it snapped onto a post for the other attachment point. triker

m_KXA_A2vV1iGyxeSZy0Rsw.jpg

If you look at the exploded view on the pamphlet,that is how mine goes on.

That pic looks like mine. Guess I need to pull harder because it is tighter than a bulls butt. I am not sure if the screw lugs are soldered on or dovetailed in, but was afraid to pull to hard if just soldered on and pop one off. triker

I typically pull mine off by holding the end of the barrel with one hand and pulling the muzzle most end of the forend off first. Mine is very tight. I don't even bother with the screw that holds it on, friction is more than enough to keep it in place.

Back