Another Smith and Wesson 27-2

highpower3006

I picked up this older (1973) Smith Model 27-2 today. It was sitting in the case at a local gun store being largely ignored due to the amount of finish wear and the fact that it was wearing one of the ugliest sets of Pachmayr grips I have ever seen. I looked at it a few days ago, but I must admit that I usually go for guns that are in much better condition. Something about it intrigued me though and I went back there today hoping it was gone, but darn it, there it was.

A quick check of all the usual things you look at on a revolver revealed that it was basically like new mechanically with a bank vault lock up, no hammer push off and an action that was as smooth as buttered glass.

A bit of negotiation found me walking out with it for $700. I figure I paid market value for it, but I really don't care as I intend to use it as my carry gun when hunting pigs this summer. I had a new set of post '68 N frame target grips in my hoard of S&W stocks and threw them on.

Nothing fancy here, just a pretty standard Model 27
IMG_1240_Fotor-XL.jpg

IMG_1238_Fotor-XL.jpg

Now my other 27-2 has a companion.
IMG_1242_Fotor-XL.jpg

I picked up this set of rather worn target stocks a few years ago and was waiting for just the right gun to put them on. I like the way they look on this particular gun and I think they kind of go along with the general wear. I think I'm going to leave them on it.

IMG_1255_Fotor-XL.jpg

IMG_1257_Fotor-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I like guns with a little honest wear. Most of my older S&W revolvers I buy are in pristine condition which means they will not see a holster and when carried to the range are really coddled.

However, just a few days ago, I bought. 19-5 4” barrel, with a “little honest wear” from a retired Secret Service Agent. This gun will be welcomed to my modest collection and will be used more than the rest of them.

Great find on your model 27.

Trooper Joe

Nice gun at reasonable money. These days their ain’t many reading preface on condition.
If model number matches they go straight for top dollar, as NIB after they rape S&W grips and replace with rubbers. I haven’t bought anything for 6 weeks. Plenty to buy but prices ridiculous. I’ve a bucket of S&Ws, only one with carry wear. I think at average prices today I would sell the lot.

Back