Another robber shot yesterday

Friday, November 12, 1999
Convenience store clerk shoots robbery suspect -- a B-CC student
By CHRISTINE PRESTON and TODD MCHALE
Staff Writers
DAYTONA BEACH - A clerk shot one suspect and police are looking for another in connection with an early morning robbery at a Ridgewood Avenue convenience store.

Jamal Darrow, 19, a freshman at Bethune-Cookman College, was listed in serious but stable condition Thursday afternoon in the intensive surgical care unit of Halifax Medical Center after undergoing surgery for a gunshot wound to his chest.

Police spokesman Sgt. Al Tolley said dispatchers received a 911 call from the Mobil Gas Station, 100 S. Ridgewood Ave., at 5:57 a.m.

When police arrived, store clerk Gerard C. Douglas, 61, of Port Orange, told them a man entered the store, purchased a cigar and left. Douglas told his boss, Tony Chang, and police that he had started making a pot of coffee when the man returned to the store a few minutes later.

"Now give me all the money," the man told Douglas as he pulled out a silver handgun and cocked it.

The man was later identified as Darrow, police said.

Douglas said at first he thought the man was kidding until he pulled out the gun. Even though the man had a gun, Douglas said he finished making coffee before he went back to the register to give the man the money.

When Douglas put the cash on the counter, he said the man put the gun down, so he decided to draw his gun.

"I threw down the money and noticed his two hands were free, so I shot him," Douglas said. The man fled the store with the cash, but returned seconds later and attempted to re-enter the building as Douglas was calling for help. The man ran out again. Douglas followed and watched him run behind the building, then north across West International Speedway Boulevard.

Minutes later, at 6:08 a.m., the Daytona Beach Fire Department received a call from the Bronson Hall dormitory at B-CC regarding a shooting victim.

"We are trying to discover if an accessory picked Darrow up and dropped him at Bronson Hall," Tolley said. "It took only eight minutes for him to get from the corner of International Speedway Boulevard and U.S. 1 to the college, where he was lying in a bed when paramedics arrived."

Douglas has worked for Chang for about five years and has a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Chang said he, too, carries a gun when he is at the store.

"I've never been in a situation like this before in my life," Douglas said Chang said, "I've been here 13 years and this is the first time we've been robbed. But I am really happy right now - my employee is OK."

Chang estimated $300 was taken.

"As far as a store owner's property is concerned, they have the right to carry a firearm on their person or have one available for their protection of personal life or property," Tolley said. "The clerk chose to seek a permit and arm himself and management was aware of it.

"He felt he was in fear for his life while facing a robber with a handgun," Tolley said. "Once he felt he had the opportunity, he drew the weapon and shot the suspect."

Tolley said the investigation will include a review of the store surveillance tape, but he does not expect charges to be filed against Douglas.

"The only charges pending are probably armed robbery charges against Jamal Darrow," he said.

Chang's wife, Cecelia, said she knows Douglas did what he had to, but expressed concerned for Darrow's well-being.

"I can't help it because I am a mother," she said. "He made a mistake, but I hope he is all right."

Darrow is from Long Island, N.Y., a college spokeswoman said.

Police recovered a silver handgun behind the gas station they believe was used in the robbery.

Anyone with additional information about the robbery is asked to call police at (904) 255-1431, or Crime Stoppers at (888) 277-TIPS (277-8477). Callers can remain anonymous and be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000.

I wish this guy hadn't talked to the cops, let alone the press. The perp had laid down his pistol before being shot.

Civil Court is gonna have a field day with this poor clerk.
Rich

That's true Rich, but if the clerk hadn't been armed, what would have prevented the BG from picking up the money, recovering his pisol and murdering the clerk?

Considering how often "Stop and Rob" clerks are killed by perps to eliminate potential witnesses (or just for the thrill) a reasonable person could expect to be shot by a BG, even though they had complied with every demand.

Yeah, he might be sued...but at least he's alive to enjoy all the things that life can provide...if it does happen, hopefully he'll obtain great representation and cram it up the plaintiff's butt. If there's any justice, the jury/court will toss the suit out and force the plaintiff to pay the clerk's legal fees.

Mike

I don't think the fact that the BG laid the gun down is that much of a problem for the clerk. The requirements of AOJ were met, and did not change when the BG laid the gun down. It is not like he surrendered. He was still an immediate threat. Still, it's probably a good thing it didn't happen in CA.

------------------
TB., NC
rosie.acmecity.com/bebe/6/index.html

Back