another question?

xandi

Hello
My ar15 is thowing spent brass with my handloads forward
How do I fix this?
The load is 27 gr cfe223, cci srp, with a 55gr fmjbt
Upper is a delton 16" mid lenght, h buffer, ar bcg
Thx for the help

There were no brass smears on my case deflector.
Really disapointing because the recovery rate of my brass is less the 10%( indoor range)

Last edited:
I have not played around with building ARs or hand loading for them.
However, as I remember it, forward ejection pattern is a sign of weak ejection from being undergassed or having an issue with the buffer. Maybe something to do with the power of your hand loads versus factory ammo?

I have no AR, however, I do know that a properly set up M1 Garand will eject cases to the 1 to 2 o'clock position forward and out of the way...part of this is to prevent flying brass from landing on a buddy who may be in near proximity, etc.

Do you know how hot an '06 case is when ejected from an M1?

The two M1s that I have do not always do it but they never eject backwards.

O3 and 03-A3 the same. The 03-A3 that I have ejects positively straight out to 1 o'clock. I don't know if this is relevant to the AR types

O3 and 03-A3 the same. The 03-A3 that I have ejects positively straight out to 1 o'clock. I don't know if this is relevant to the AR types

Bolt action ejection is totally irrelevant to AR types and semis in general.

The AR uses a spring loaded plunger ejector. Constant pressure is applied to the case as long as the extractor is holding it in position. Where the brass lands depends on how fast the bolt is moving when the empty clears the edge of the ejection port, and what the case hits, or what hits it on its way out.

You can easily see this by carefully chambering a fired case (making sure the extractor is engaged normally, rifle full locked shut) and then ejecting the case by hand, As fast as you can do it by hand, its still lots slower than what happens during firing, and the empties will wind up in a different place.

There are gun designs where hotter loads get the brass tossed more forward, due to the difference in the action's operating speed. This seems to be more common in systems that use a fixed ejector, but might happen for other reasons. Sometimes a gun that opens faster can shut faster, and if the stars line up just right, the closing bolt/slide could hit the ejecting case, giving it a different than normal landing location.

It is also possible for a light load to open the gun "slower" and the spring will shut it at normal speed, creating the same situation.

I have a pistol that with regular factory loads never throws the brass forward, but with hot handloads does it with regularity.

I don't see any problem recovering your fired brass on an indoor range, other than the range managements policies. Some ranges are very possessive of fired brass, considering it "theirs" as soon as it hits the ground. I will not patronize such an establishment!

There should be no issues with allowing you to police up your own brass, ONCE THE RANGE IS CLOSED/COLD. We do it all the time on outdoor ranges when the range goes cold to allow for putting up & changing targets.

Now, asking the range to order a cease fire so you, and only you can collect your brass is rude to other shooters, just be patient, and polite. A range that will not allow you to collect your brass during a cease fire period is just being rude to YOU, and you should go somewhere else, or work on getting the management to change the policy. Good Luck.

44AMP... not saying the bolt gun is similar. My point was that on most of my military guns the fired case is generally ejected forward....the M1 was designed so that cases were ejected a distance away to minimize clutter in static combat conditions and to stay off your buddy...

Whether the AR platform is set up to do this, I have no idea but since the Armalite was originally GI, it would be reasonable to think the ejection would be set up similar, especially given the full auto capability of the AR.

A Garand's ejector spring can be clipped so that cases will not not eject so far and be closer to the rifleman's position and in better shape. Polishing the ejector and the knife edge of the extractor also reduces case head indents or "hickeyes" for the reloader concerned with such. I'm sure AR armorers have some tricks also.

I have noticed that M1 ejection will vary as the rifle is fired from about 1 o'clock forward to ending up at about 3 o'clock after 50 or 60 shots as is probably the case with most semi autos.

This initial ejection pattern is also far better for a left handed shooter for obvious reasons.

I like to see my AR's eject in the 3-4 o'clock vicinity. I usually adjust the gas block for 3 o'clock ejection when suppressed as this is about the minimum that will give full cycle w/o the can.
If you're getting consistent forward ejection, you've got too much gas.

Jimro is right
I use that brass catcher and it catches every single case every time. I don't loose any brass. Works great indoors and outdoors.

Back