another problem with my 1851 confederate

laubert75

Inactive
Ok, i've never fired my 1851 con. navy .44, and i've had it for about 2 years, and when i try taking the wedge out, the son of a gun just wont come out, i'm hitting it with a wedge and hammer and it just wont budge. What do you guys think is the problem?

.....I think that the problem is that your gun was made by Pietta (probably)....
They come from the factory with a very tight wedge as a rule...If you look in the posts in this forum, you will see the problem addressed.....Take out the wedge screw, apply a liberal dose of penetrating oil to the wedge, give it time to soak in & then give the wedge some good solid whacks with a plastic mallet.......

Assuming it's not a brass frame...

There's been a lot of discussion over at Voyforums Black Powder Revolver about this problem. They come from the factory in this condition, and Oldwheat has a good suggestion if the wedge is through the barrel far enough to whack it. Some aren't. In that case use a brass drift (I made one out of a brass screw) to punch it out. Make sure you don't bugger up the spring catch. Once out, it won't want to go back in as far. Don't force it in by hammering on it! Doing that will peen the back of the wedge hole and cause misalignment and misery. Just tap it in, it should engage the both sides of the barrel enough to shoot. If not, kitchen table gunsmithing is in order (unless you can send it back..).

"Shooting it in" will free up the wedge in time and make it work normally.

Back