Another no-knock warrant and cover up

TargetTerror

I read this account of a no-knock warrant on the home of Tracy Ingle. The sources seem legitimate, though admittedly I haven't confirmed it elsewhere. It seems particularly egregious because the police continue to railroad him even after it is clear there was a mistake. It also seems odd that the no-knock warrant was obtained 3 weeks before the raid - isn't the whole point of a no-knock the need to do the raid quickly?

http://reason.com/blog/show/126284.html#comments
and an article from the Arkansas Times: http://www.arktimes.com/Articles/ArticleViewer.aspx?ArticleID=68509828-1566-472d-9a68-79f43b522950

The Reason.com article:
Tracy Ingle: Another Drug War Outrage

Radley Balko | May 7, 2008, 10:45am

About a month ago I got a call from a reporter for the Arkansas Times inquiring about my research into paramilitary drug raids. He'd been reporting on a raid in North Little Rock involving a 40-year-old man named Tracy Ingle. When he told me the story over the phone, I was floored, even given all the abuses and mistakes I've reported and read about over the last few years. What makes the case especially egregious is not that the police may have gotten the wrong home, that they shot a man, or that they were covering it up or going silent. We've seen all that before. What's mind-blowing about this one is that they've continued abusing the poorTracy Ingle's door. guy, even after it should have been clear for some time now that they made a mistake.

From the outset, it should be noted that Tracy Ingle has had some trouble with the law in the past, though nothing violent, and nothing drug-related. He has had a couple of DWI's, and a citation for failing to appear in court. He apparently also agreed to do some repair work on a friend's car that later turned out to be stolen.

That said, what's happened to him over the last few months is pretty outrageous.

Here's the Arkansas Times piece, which I'd encourage you to read in full. And here's a follow-up interview with North Little Rock Police Chief Danny Bradley about SWAT tactics.

I've since spoken again to the reporter and to Tracy Ingle's sister, Tiffney Forrester, who herself is a former sheriff's deputy. I've also had a chance to review the warrants and return sheets (pdf).

The North Little Rock Police Department wouldn't discuss the case with me.

Here's a quick rundown:

• On January 7, 2008 a paramilitary police unit in North Little Rock, Arkansas conducted a drug raid on Tracy Ingle's home. Ingle says he had fallen asleep for several hours, and was asleep when the raid happened. He awoke when the police took a battering ram to his door. Another team of officers approached form the outside of the house, and shattered the window to his bedroom.

• When he awoke, Ingle says he thought his home was being invaded by armed robbers. He reached for a broken gun, a pretty clear indication that he had no intention of killing anyone, but rather was trying to scare away the intruders. When he grabbed the gun, an officer inside the house fired his weapon. The bullet hit Ingle just above the knee, shattered his thigh bone, and nearly severed his lower leg. When the outside officers heard the shot, they opened up on Ingle, hitting him four more times. According to Ingle's sister, one bullet still rests just above Ingle's heart, and can't be removed.

• Ingle was taken to the hospital, and spent a week-and-a-half in intensive care. He was then removed from intensive care—still in his hospital pajamas—and taken to the North Little Rock police department, where he was questioned for five hours. He was not told he was suspected of a crime, and his family wasn't allowed to speak with him. After the interrogation, he was arrested and transferred to the county jail.

Ingle spent the next four days in jail. He says he was never given his pain medication or his antibiotics. Though hospital nurses told him to change his bandages and clean his wounds every 4-6 hours, Ingle told the Arkansas Times that jail officials changed them only twice in four days. Ingle's wounds became infected during the time he was in jail.

Police found no illegal drugs in Ingle's home. They did find a scale, which Ingle's sister tells me was an extra she was given when she worked at a medical testing facility. She used it in her jewelry-making hobby. They also found a bunch of small plastic bags. Again, Ingle's sister says these were part of her business. "I was leaving the country for a while, and I stored a lot of my stuff at his house," she told me. "The scale and bags were mine, and are both common things to have for anyone who makes jewelry." Police also found the broken gun and a broken police scanner.

• From those items, the police charged Ingle with running a drug enterprise. They also charged him with assault, for pointing his broken gun at the police officers who had just barged into his home. The judge set Ingle's bail at $250,000, explaining that it had to be set high because Ingle had engaged in a shootout with police—never mind that Ingle didn't fire a shot. Ingle was able to sell his car to pay a bail bondsman. But with no car, his injuries render him basically immobile. He had to walk two miles on crutches and an infected leg to his hearing last week.

The police obtained a no-knock warrant for Ingle's home about three weeks prior to the raid. The warrant itself (pdf) reads like boilerplate, with no specific references to Ingle (other than his address), or why he specifically posed a risk to police safety, or of disposing of drugs before coming to answer the door. It mentions no controlled buys. It doesn't even mention an informant. In fact, someone scratched out "crack cocaine" and hand-wrote in "methamphetamine" on the type-written warrant, suggesting a cut, plug, and paste job. The Supreme Court has ruled that police must show case-specific evidence of exigent circumstances in order to be issued a no-knock warrant. The mere fact that it's a drug case isn't enough. The warrant for Ingle's home contains no such specific information.

Many times, information specific to the investigation is contained in the affidavit the investigating officer files for the search warrant, not in the warrant itself. Forrester says she has called the North Little Rock Police Department more than 20 times in an effort to obtain a copy of the affidavits. She says they at first refused to return her phone calls. When she was finally able to speak with a lieutenant, he became angry when she told him she had contacted the media. She then says he told her to "dream on" when she asked for copies of the affidavits.

According to Forrester, Ingle's neighbor had a direct line of sight into the bedroom, and saw the entire raid. His account initially matched Ingle's. But that changed. "We have a witness, a next door neighbor that saw the entire incident," Forrester told me. "He came forward on his own to give a statement to the family. Police never questioned him until a month or so after the shooting, at my insistence. They kept this neighbor in his home, and questioned him for at least four hours, refusing to let the man's wife come home, of for other people to see him. When the police finished intimidating the man, they told him specifically that 'he did not see what he thought he saw.' The neighbor is now afraid to talk to the media." I have not yet been able to speak with the neighbor.

• Ingle's family was able to put up $1,000 to retain an attorney, but can't afford the extra $6,000 the attorney has asked to represent Ingle. Ingle is therefore still looking for representation. He has no health insurance, and no money to pay for medication, or to continue treatment of his injuries.

Last week, after the Arkansas Times article appeared, the judge in the case issued a gag order, preventing Ingle and any future attorney he may have from talking to the media about what happened to him. This is puzzling. Before today there had been exactly two articles about this case—not exactly a media circus. It's hard to understand why a gag order was necessary. It's only real purpose is to prevent more people from learning about what's increasingly looking like a railroading. And it's only effect is to lend more support to the possibility that it is, in fact, a cover-up and railroading.

As noted, the police aren't talking. And the prosecutor is now bound by the gag order. Perhaps there's some piece of information damning to Ingle I'm not yet aware of—though it's hard to imagine what that might be.

Barring that, what's happening to Tracy Ingle is pretty outrageous.

I am not familiar with the case in question and form no opinion either way but I can say that:

No knock warrants are not just for exigent circumstance type entry but also for officer safety. If the department in question feels that there is a real danger to those executing the warrant (i.e. history of illegal wepons possession, past search warrants where weapons have been used against law enforcement, guard dogs etc.) then they would rather not announce themselves regardless of how long in advance the warrant was obtained. This information would not appear on a search warrant.

A few other points:

If you have ever written a search warrant (I have) you will quickly find that they all have a similar format (depending on the state). It makes them look like a "boilerplate" or "template" but what matters is the specific information contained within the warrant (i.e. person's name, address, items to be obtained, etc, etc).That is what makes it valid.

JP

a broken gun as a defence

• "When he awoke, Ingle says he thought his home was being invaded by armed robbers. He reached for a broken gun, a pretty clear indication that he had no intention of killing anyone, but rather was trying to scare away the intruders. When he grabbed the gun, an officer inside the house fired his weapon. The bullet hit Ingle just above the knee, shattered his thigh bone, and nearly severed his lower leg. When the outside officers heard the shot, they opened up on Ingle, hitting him four more times. According to Ingle's sister, one bullet still rests just above Ingle's heart, and can't be removed."

WOW we have read a lot of reason on this board as to issues where an unarmed person was shot by police. We have read a lot of postings where a person was probably shot by mistake. But now we have a new concept: pick up and hold onto a broken gun and the police should have know it was not a thread to their lives.

I don't buy:
1. The broken gun.
2. The "jewelry making enterprise." That being said, my RCBS Loadmaster and the ziplock bags in the kitchen could similarly be construed as "paraphernalia" to a creative warrant author.

With those two issues out of the way, I heartily feel that no-knocks should be reserved for situations where paramilitary force is the only option. I'm sure this man was under surveillance for awhile... Why couldn't he have been arrested while grocery shopping? Why couldn't a detective knock on the door with a healthy backup force of 3-4 patrol units waiting at the end of the driveway?

And if he WASN'T under surveillance for awhile... why was a no-knock necessary?

"They did find a scale, which Ingle's sister tells me was an extra she was given when she worked at a medical testing facility. She used it in her jewelry-making hobby. They also found a bunch of small plastic bags. Again, Ingle's sister says these were part of her business. "I was leaving the country for a while, and I stored a lot of my stuff at his house," she told me. "The scale and bags were mine,"

LOL . . . :D

Is anyone really believing that?????

I'm guessing the guy was involved in a little bit of something, attracted the wrong attention, and got WAY more then what he bargained for.

So they've charged a guy with no drugs of a drug crime.. Whats next, giving speeding tickets to pedestrians? "What do you mean you werent speeding... you do have a set of CAR KEYS in your pocket!" :confused::barf:

How many botched cases does it take before people realise that no-knocks are a discusting perversion of justice.

how many convictions

before some accept the fact that there are people involved in things that are not in the best interest of the rest of us.

Those who look at the site http://www.theagitator.com/ where Radley Balko seems to be the star might notice a trend in his stories. Check his site out might give you an indication why Balko believe the broken gun was no threat to anyone. From what I' read on my brief visit all judges are unfair supported of the paramilitary police who act only to imprison innocent citizens who are being unjustly prosecutes for fabricated crimes. So IMHO Mr. Balko version of this issue might have a slight credibility problem with his interpretation of the complete story combined with a preconceived position against all government and/or police actions.

Okay, but that still doesn't explain how, if no drugs were found, he is still being charged? And why an extremely quiet case with little to no media attention would require a gag order? There are alot of things here which just do not add up. We need more information. Too many holes to form any kind of opinion even.

You're all missing the point, he had a Cell Phone, a pellet pistol, and a paintball gun is his Bedroom!!!

He also had plastic baggies and a notebook full of phone numbers. He was clearly a threat to the safety of everyone around him.:rolleyes:

Yes he had a real gun, (the fact it was broken doesn't matter, the cops couldn't know that) but the fact is he didn't break any laws. He was legally justified to use lethal force to defend himself and his home in his state.

In the other side, the police are justified in shooting someone who points a gun at them. This is the main problem with the no-knock warrants, they take two parties both armed and both legally justified in using force to defend themselves, and throw them into a frightening and confusing high stress environment.

The natural result of these situations are people being shot. That's why I think using such warrants when you know somebody is in the location is a stupid unneeded risk. Why not actually wait till the person is out of the house, grab him by surprise, and then send the Swat boys in? They check the house, make sure it's clear, and call in the detectives to make the search.

Now even with those precautions, people will still be injured, but it would drastically reduce those numbers.

And yes I realize that these raids will still need to happen.

That said, my brother almost had the same thing happen, they came and pounded on his door at 3am, shining lights through all the windows. He said he heard the glass shatter on his kitchen door where they hit it hard enough for it to fall out, and saw people outside his window with shotguns. He had his hand in the drawer where he keeps his 357 when he understood they were yelling police.

He went and talked to them, and they were looking for somebody who used to live there. The house was a rental property my family owns. The man they were looking for was living there 5 years before the police showed up. There had been 6 other renters between him and when my brother moved in.:barf:

Also my cousin had the police come to a domestic dispute call to her trailer, she and her husband were both asleep. This happened 4 times in 2 weeks, but finally the cops realized there was another trailer park across the street and it was that #5 that the call was about:rolleyes:

Is anyone really believing that?????
why not? I have a scale, and a whole buch of the little baggies too, and I dont have them for drugs, or reloading. The scale is for my interest in chinese herbal medicine (I have a powder scale for realoading also) and the baggies all cam wit hscrews, washers, mic little parts, etc inside. I kept the baggies for holding small things jus tlike what came in them. Is that reasonable suspicion to get a warrant and no knock my house? Lordy, I sure hope not, or civil liberties and justice are right out the window in this country, and we are all screwed.

as for the jewelry excuse, I happen to work with a guy whose wife makes jewlry, and she has all those items in thier house for just that reason. I have sen them. Should I call the cops and be a witness so they can get no knocked too?

Maybe the guy is lying, but....maybe not. There needs to be more to go on than some weak crap like that for a warrant for sure, IMHO.
Hopefully more will come out on this, as I'd love to see who is telling the truth on this one, and so far, there isnt enough info, and its coming from just the one side, so....

How does having a scale warrant a load of cops busting into your house and arresting you? This type of thing has become more and more common and it is increasing. As it increases, the offenses they consider worthy of no-knock warrants increases also. It is a dangerous trend... dangerous for the officers too. Injuries and deaths of cops during these raids has increased also. It is not hard to question why. If someone busts in my house at night, they will be met by a hail of gunfire because I am prepared to protect my home. That is not intended as a threat or to bolster my ego... I am clearly stating facts. I have weapons which I use for protection and I cannot guarantee that I would not mistake the intruders for criminals.

But now we have a new concept: pick up and hold onto a broken gun and the police should have know it was not a thread to their lives.
What about the concept that when someone is smashing down your door and shattering your bedroom window, you, while sleep-dazed, should know that it's not a violent home-invasion robbery, but in fact the police?

I've seen a lot of mindless drivel on forums over the years, and the first post in this thread is just about as mindless as it gets.

I wonder how many drug dealers have sisters who are in the jewelry business? A bunch, I'd bet. So, the dealer was out of supply. So what!

The points made about the guy's intentions when he aimed his broken gun at the police were so juvenile...no, make that infantile...as to not merit a response.

The police screw up. The Johnson case in Atlanta is a good example of one of those screw-ups. That's being dealt with in the courts now. The case discussed in this thread wasn't a screw-up by the police.

The police screw up. The Johnson case in Atlanta is a good example of one of those screw-ups.
Not sure I'd call murder, planting evidence, and intimidating a witness a "screw up", but hey, to each his own.:rolleyes:

I've seen a lot of mindless drivel on forums over the years, and the first post in this thread is just about as mindless as it gets.

I wonder how many drug dealers have sisters who are in the jewelry business? A bunch, I'd bet. So, the dealer was out of supply. So what!

The points made about the guy's intentions when he aimed his broken gun at the police were so juvenile...no, make that infantile...as to not merit a response.

The police screw up. The Johnson case in Atlanta is a good example of one of those screw-ups. That's being dealt with in the courts now. The case discussed in this thread wasn't a screw-up by the police.

Alleykat I disagree about the police screw-up, but I don't think the ones who fired were the ones that screwed up. They did exactly what they should have done when face with an armed man in the house they were raiding.

The screw-up was in issuing the "no-knock" in this instance. I may be wrong, but there seems to be very little reason to to do a swat raid in this case.

It's one guy, just knock and grab him when he opens the door.

Your bit about the man's intentions when he pointed the gun is correct, they don't make a bit of difference.

It's a matter of the law, I haven't looked up the specific laws for Arkansas, but most states word their laws along the lines of "If you believe you or another legal occupant of the house are in danger of bodily harm from the intruder you are justified to use lethal force."

If Arkansas words their laws along the same lines it's pretty easy to see how a man could believe he was in danger when people come bursting through his door while he's asleep.

He was in legal possession of the weapon (weather there were drugs on the property before or not doesn't matter) he was not in possession of illegal drugs, nor was he committing any other crimes while laying asleep in his bed.

In this case the result of the "No-knock" warrant was to put armed men facing each other where both sides were legally allowed to use lethal force against the other.

In this case the result of the "No-knock" warrant was to put armed men facing each other where both sides were legally allowed to use lethal force against the other.

Bingo. That say's it all. Escalating the chances for violence and injury is not a very smart police tactic, IMO. It is more akin to arrogance and machismo.

AlleyKat, so lets say you are laying in bed asleep, when you are awakened by tremendous amounts of noise, breaking doors, glass, ect, of SOMEONE forcefully entering your home. Half asleep and disoriented, in full panic mode, you grab your gun an prepare to defend your home and your life against these unknown intruders.....

And you are shot multiple times by an overwhelming police force, in full paramilitary gear. Maybe you die. Maybe you shoot a LEO.

Innocent person or not aside, it just happened. It could and would happen that way for a majority of self-defense motivated people. Maybe you, maybe LEOS, maybe innocent family members are now dead. Is it nonsense?

If you live, and are COMPLETELY INNOCENT of the reason for the no-knock, do you still go to prison for ever for that LEO you killed by mistake?

What is nonsense is for police to put themselves and others in terrible danger for no logical reason. That said, there are some reasons where a no-knock is necessary, but it seems as if sometimes the no-knocks are served to feed egos and power trips instead of justice.

Back