Another M-1 ?

Bob A

Inactive
When I pull the bolt back on my Garand it will, on occassion, pull away from the stock and out of the rear notch in the receiver. I was told that I was pulling the bolt away from the receiver by using my index finger, that I should be using the palm and little finger area to pull the slide. It has been working correctly that way, but it still leaves me with the question if all is right.
Thanks Bob

In order to get the op rod to come out of its track, you have to pull both out and up. It can be done accidentally, but you should not normally have to do anything special to prevent it. If it happens frequently, I suggest checking the barrel/receiver alignment, and both the op rod and the receiver track for wear. If your M1 is a put together or the receiver is a "reweld", things could be out of alignment.

Jim

Yeah, a slighly "sprung" op rod can provide the upward and outward pressure all by itself.

You'll need two lead blocks and a nice heavy hammer to boing it back--leather pad the impact points!. I've done three. Pound three times and check.

Get one of the shop manuals or even the military National Match books to get the precise op rod standards. When the op rod is done properly, the barrelled action assembled without the the op rod spring will fully open the bolt and travel all the way back when the muzzle is tipped up either 30 or 60 degrees (can't remember which, might be 30 per one book and 60 for another), and close and fully lock when tipped back down the same tilt.

Can look it up for you and post if you wish. My dad has the book somewhere.

Bob A: I have been doing my best to stay out of this thread. If you can dismount the op rod of your M1 Garrand in this manner, you must be King Kong. I am afraid that if you keep shooting this rifle you will encounter "Oprod dismounts during firing" That will not be fun even if things work out well for all involved.
Please have a good "smith" look at what you are speaking of!
Good Shooting, Hank

Back