Another lead casting question.

Gster

I didn't want to highjack GregInAtls' thread so I thought I'd ask this also.
I'm just getting into casting my own also and haven't really started because it's been so freaking cold outside. I don't have a garage or out building to do it in. I live in a 1 1/2 story log home without a basement. There is a large loft on the second floor but I do have a work shop off the end of the loft that is approx. 12'X14'. The only problem with doing in there is.. My propane furnace is in that room also and it gets some of it's return air from that room. I don't want lead fumes pushed through the house through the air ducts. What I am proposing to do is mount a range hood over the work bench and vent it out with the exhaust from the forced air furnace exhaust. What are everyones thoughts on this idea? will it work?

I wish that I had your trouble with casting... (log home).
Can you vent to the out-doors with an exhaust fan ?, such
as through a window.

I do crazy a** stuff, but I would avoid casting in my house.

Yeah, I'd be in big time trouble if I fed my casting smoke/smells through out the house. Venting the smoke outdoors is a good idea and using a full hood set up sounds excellent (fumes/vapors usually come about at higher temps. than what is used for making boolits). I can't see a downside...

Piping it thru the furnace exhaust vent is not advisable. You will be setting yourself for some carbon monoxide issues if you breach the furnace vent by allowing a path for the gasses to back flow into the room.

Yeh, I better not mess with the furnace vent. I can make an insert to shut the window on with a 4" hole cut in it to hook the vent pipe to. I didn't want to cut another hole in the house to vent it out. Thanks.

My winter time casting station is on the kitchen table (my wife is a peach), right beside a window. I open the slider in the window, and set a 21 inch square fan on the sill, blowing out. (cover the upper portion of the screen with cardboard.

With the fan on low, and the pellet stove turned up, all smoke and fumes are sucked out, and the house stays warm. The linoleum floor is easy to sweep/vacume, and I cover the table with a piece of OSB that protects it and goes outside when I'm done.

This system wouldn't work with the wrong wife, which is why I'm no longer with that one.;) jd

FWIW I personally would never cast indoors. Lead contamination or the extra cleaning up of said area makes it not worth it to me.

How cold does it get in your area? Average winter days? Might be a way to make a temporary type lean to that is well ventilated and dress warm in clothes only for casting might be an option?

Lets also point out a big danger whether you cast in-doors or out-doors......

Never, never, never allow liquids around your casting station. Whether it
is condensation from a beverage container (think beer) or any type of
liquid. If liquid enters your lead pot, it will explode !

The next time I am casting I will take a video of what happens when water gets into your melting pot. It all depends on how much water. A few drops will do nothing then a little spatter so if you sweat when you cast no worries but dinking a beverage aint a good idea anyway.

you could buy a cheap tool shed from home depot and vent that thing out. plus your cooking lead should keep it toasty inside.

or better yet!!!

:cool:

Those cheap out building that Costco, Home Depot, and Sams sells would be perfect for your winter casting. Cut a hole in the roof or side for a vent hood fan, add a small electric heater for your, and cast away.

I have one that has survived the AZ summer sun for many years now, Pretty rugged and very inexpensive. The wife keeps all her gardening stuff in it. Just put a metal oil drip pan down.....plastic floors and lead spills do not go well.

Take a step back and use common sense. Lead isn't the evil demon lurking around looking for a life to destroy, like some seem to believe. Your family won't die a slowwww lingering death if you bring some wheel weights into your home. You can get a full haz-mat suit, build a climate controlled, hepa filtered "casting house" if you want to, but normally sane folks will just think, using real life facts, and they're fine...

If you use (you should!) beeswax (the best) or some other REDUCING agent to put the Sn back into your casting pot and get that mirror-shiny surface on your melt, you WILL create tons of smoke and smell that you NEVER want in your living spaces. So building a separate INEXPENSIVE shed to cast in is not out of the question at all. No HEPA filters, no special construction, just a good vent fan to the outside. If I lived in cold climates, I sure would have one!!!!!! Here in AZ, I can re-melt and cast just about any day I want OUTSIDE. Would NOT want all that airborne smoke in my kitchen or house. I am not talking about the non-existent "lead fumes" so many seem to fear. Just the smoke and stuff that comes from having liquid metal at ~700F or so.

I have to agree with bangerjim on this one. If you’re using one of the common fluxing agents or even none at all, there is the potential for some sort of smoke. The good news is that the idea with the window exhaust should work swimmingly in most situations.

If I had the funds and was in your situation though, I would go ahead and get some sort of outdoor shed or similar to cast in. Fairly reasonable, adds storage to your home in general, and separates living quarters from casting area. Even if the dangers of lead are over blown, they do exist and can be dangerous if you’re not careful. Why take the risk if a better option is available?

The fan in the range hood would likely be too small. You are thinking close. There are other types of exhaust fans that you can get that will work. Think whole house exhaust fan. You still can to the trick with the window it will just require a larger fan. You can find these fans in a good hardware store with a 6 inch duct or larger. Some come with a dampner.

Well I hate to run with a crowd unless there is a fire or worse situation, but in this case I believe most are pointing you in the right direction with the outbuilding.

In most cases the smoke from my smelting and or casting is minimal, but there are times when like mentioned about the beeswax, where a lubed or half dozen so bullets make it back into the pot and things get hazy pretty quick even with two fans running.

I set up my smelting pot directly under a 2" box fan which hangs in the screened portion of my back shop door. Behind me I usually have another fan which "help" to coax the smoke towards the box. On the other side of the room I also have a 10" fan which more or less is only there to help move air in the first place, and it will also move it towards the box when things get thick.

I have had my wife come back from the front of the house and ask if things were OK. That was when I learned about putting the lubed ones in one at a time instead of a handful. I also use sawdust as well, and a good topping of it can generate a bit as well. Either of these however can be culled down to a minimum if you simply light it off once it initially starts to smoke. Thing is you gotta have that lighter handy and not be dobber heading around getting molds and such ready when it starts.

The other thing is you WILL be dropping lead, and have lead splatter from time to time it is simply unavoidable if you pouring enough bullets. Keep in mind also that "enough" is a very relative term. Even with sweeping up and such I still find those darned little splatter balls here and there in places they should never have gotten. You certainly don't want this inside your house.

Wished I had better news but the outbuilding and a decent exhaust fan are about the best things going. Heck even something akin to a lean to up aside the main structure or possibly something that could serve double duty like maybe a hot house with a divided room on one end. Have tomatoes and such on one end and in the other have your smelting and pouring operation. Just be sure to wash your hands before picking anything you are wanting to have for supper. ;)

I've cast indoors for a lot of years. Big fan in a window works fine. Use to know a guy who sold cast bullets commercially. Used two gang molds and a pail of water to cool em off during a session. Tough way to make a living.

Back