Another Friend Has Left This World

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Six years ago today, hogdogs joined our community, here at TFL. Not quite a year ago, we asked him to moderate the Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum.

A simple country boy, whose passion for hunting and a life with rifles and shotguns, immediately endeared him to some of us.

Yet his (most often) low-keyed demeanor belied a genuine interest in our community. I'm sure I'm not the only friend he had here. Brent couldn't be prouder bearing the title, "Redneck!" He gave the ephitaph the sort of honor you would never suspect, in todays world.

For those that didn't know, today, Brent lost his battle with cancer. My own life has dimmed, with his passing. Yet I am better for having been counted as his friend.

Brent's dad sent us the following:

Brent lost the battle today at 3:12 PM in ICU at Sacred Heart. He had a great doctor and the lead nurse was especially awesome. After a conference this morning, we opted for the doctor's "Most comfortable departure" plan. For what it is worth; that last downhill slide that is a part of an event like this, was rapid, and with great medication, as pleasant as possible for him.

. . .

Brent will be buried where he most wanted to. It is a "Nature Conservancy", properly natural, and by having a cemetery the landowner can keep government from working to take it from him Brent lived across the street from it and often talked of the concept of it, i.e. natural, no embalming, no "forever" caskets, etc. Brent will be buried with his favorite, very old, now departing dog, wrapped in "their" favorite blanket. The plot that I looked at today looked like a great place to just squat and wait for deer.

May you rest in peace, Brent R. Caryl Sr.

RIP. My there be many open fields of wild game to hunt with unlimited ammo. And all the Milkbones your sidekick could ever want. This is a very sad time that I hope his family remembers to celebrate his life and not morn his death. I've talked with Brent quite often over the years I've been on this forum. He will be missed.

Wow, what a great loss. I'm only coming back to the forum now after a good bit of time pursuing other interests but I always looked forward to seeing what Hogdogs had to say on a given subject. I hope his passing was easy. I can't think of a better way to spend eternity than in a piece of wooded ground wrapped up in a blanket with my favorite pup. Rest easy HD.

I have not logged in for quite some time, and the first thing I did was to look up Brent...what a shock, and I'm completely heartbroken to hear about this. I really wish I had kept in touch more...

RIP hogdogs, and thank you for everything.

I didn't know Brent but sometimes, after I posted on here, he'd send me a private email. He didn't ask for anything, all he did was comment. Most folks don't do that. In fact, most folks wouldn't give you the time of day. Yesterday I read about Brent's passing and was going to post something but none of what I said felt right. I'm sorry about Brent's passing and think to myself anything I say won't be right but at least I said something.

I am so sorry to read that. Brent was alway an entertaining and intelligent writer.
I learned a great amount about hog dogging and hunting in Florida from Brent.

My prayers go out to his family and friends.

Though I personally didn't know him, I always enjoyed his comments and posts. He is missed already and though the world seems a little darker without him; the heavens just inherited another star for us to gaze upon.

Rest easy Brent.

Miss him... I was going through a tough transition in my life when he passed... But he helped me when I was beginning to hog hunt, gave me valuable advice many times

Back