Another Destroyer carbine thread

mwells72774

Well we snagged 2 at a local auction, both missing bolts or so we thought. Got to looking in another box of loot and low and behold... a bolt minus extractor. It was nasty. Looked rough and didn't release firing pin. After hour of investigation, the back of the bolt shroud was deformed. Rounded out and light polish and off we go. Tried some 9mm largo, as that's what's on the receiver and won't chamber. Too long so tried 9x19 Luger and it fits. Bolt closes.

So if anyone has info on these being 9 Luger rather than 9 largo please share also if anyone has bolts or parts, please let me know.

Interesting that it would chamber 9MMP but not 9MM Largo. Perhaps a good cleaning ? I confess I haven't fired mine yet.

From Wikipedia:

While all rimless 9 mm caliber pistol cartridges will chamber in a Destroyer Carbine, and consequently will fire, it is extremely unsafe to use ammunition other than 9 x 23 mm Largo due to the dangers of excessive pressure. Some late-production experimental Destroyer Carbines were produced in other calibers such as .38 Auto or 9 mm Para and are even more highly sought after.

So maybe some pictures an some serial number production dates would be helpful?

Marked Largo, chambers only Para?
I would try to get a borescope in it and see if it had a chamber ring to shorten headspace by 4mm. Or maybe a complete chamber bushing.

There were a lot of Swedish surplus 9mm Browning Longs converted to 9mm Browning Short that way.

From Wikipedia:

So maybe some pictures an some serial number production dates would be helpful?

It's a G1 coded which makes it a 1961. I can get some pictures later. Attached is a picture with a 9x23 largo

118196417fddaa21872677a7e3a0e242.jpg

I agree. It's a neat little carbine. Ran some light 9x19 cast loads and it shot fine and surprisingly accurate. No signs of over pressure or gas blow by

It has been a good while since I played with a "Destroyer", but it looks like that receiver has been worked over to change the caliber and I am not sure I would fully trust it, even with pistol loads.

Jim

Yes, one of my fantasy/dream guns is a bolt action carbine with interchangeable barrels for 380 ACP, 9MMP, 38 Super, 9mm Largo, 9MM Winchester Magnum.

Somebody's been messing with that receiver. But it would probably hold up just fine. Do a chamber cast and see what's been done to it.

I've seen a Mauser 98 45 ACP and seemed simple enough to convert.
Numrich used to sell kits to modify 93s, all you needed was a screwdriver and a drill. A mill helped (a lot), but was not really necessary.

one of my fantasy/dream guns is a bolt action carbine with interchangeable barrels for 380 ACP, 9MMP, 38 Super, 9mm Largo, 9MM Winchester Magnum.
Then build it. Start with a mini-Mauser or Rem 799 action and do it. It's not impossible. It would never work for mass production, but it would be a fun project. A project like that would be even more fun to watch! :D

It has been a good while since I played with a "Destroyer", but it looks like that receiver has been worked over to change the caliber and I am not sure I would fully trust it, even with pistol loads.

Jim

I took it apart and the index marks line up. The barrel patina matches the rest of the rifle so I don't think it was a rebarrel or modified.

If someone has an extractor they will loan, with or without deposit, for us at our machine shop to duplicate, that would be awesome!

Back