Another Browning copy

gyvel

Well, we can add another to the list of Browning A5 copies.

It appears that some time between the wars, Rheinmetall made a dead-nuts copy of the A5. Stumbled across this one on GB while searching for something else. It's a beauty, too, in 16 ga.

So now, we have:

FN A5 (Europe)
Browning A5 (US)
Remington 11
Savage
Stevens
Western Field (Savage/Stevens)
Daiwa (Japan)
Rheinmetall Nr. 4 (Germany)

The Rheinmetall shotgun looks like an A5, but is actually quite different.

And you can add Franchi to your list of copies.

Rheinmetall was a wonderful company. They designed an engineered everything very well. Also, they built this.
ZKwbCsw.jpg

Completely unrelated but it was the first and one of the only Germany tank destroyers that had a fully rotational turret. Used a 128mm cannon. I wouldn't knock Rhm. Too much, had they actually copied it, they might even have built it better.

Last edited:
Actually it was a 128 mm cannon, my mistake, there was an attempt to mount a 15 cm cannon, but it failed. The 15 cm cannon was also experimented with on the E-100 and the 128mm cannon was used on the PanzerKampfWagen VIII Maus, the heaviest and most well armored tank ever invented.

The Rheinmetall No. 4 is quite different inside. There is some good info on it on Gunboards Shotgun Forum

Externally looks the same. Internally nothing alike. Totally different animal. I don't even thin the barrel recoils. I knew a man who had one. I never could come up with enough cash to buy it.

Externally looks the same. Internally nothing alike. Totally different animal. I don't even thin the barrel recoils. I knew a man who had one. I never could come up with enough cash to buy it.

Now's your chance; $589.00 on GB.

Wow! I went to Gunboards and looked at the patent drawings. One gent had a Rheinmetall which he took apart and documented with photos. You are right: It has absolutely nothing in common with an A5, other than a superficial external appearance.

The one for sale on Gunbroker is the first one I have ever seen or heard of.

Back