another AOW or SBS question

nightwolf1974

So, am I correct that if you buy a Mossberg 500 Cruiser model , (that came from the factory with a pistol grip and NEVER had a stock on it)and cut it down (after the tax stamp arrives) or bought the parts from Mossberg to do the 14" conversion...that gun can be REGISTERED as a AOW?

Correct.
It can also have the barrel cut to where the overall length is 26" without being registered as an AOW or NFA weapon.

"Correct.
It can also have the barrel cut to where the overall length is 26" without being registered as an AOW or NFA weapon. "

Yes, I know that. I'm considering a AOW as my entry into the NFA realm, and thought I'd start simple.

I have a lot of people trying to discourage me from going there due to hyped-up fears and misinformation about these things.

Why would you build it as an AOW and not an SBS? They both cost the same to register on a Form 1 and with an SBS you always have the option to add a stock if you want to.

9x19 said:
I thought AOW was a $5 tax, while SBS is the normal $200?
Yes, if you're using a Form 4 to transfer one that's already made. But the tax for making a AOW using a Form 1 is $200, same as an SBS.

Since registering a shotgun as an SBS allows you to have a short barrel but also gives you the added bonus of being able to attach a stock if you want to, it doesn't make a lot of sense for the OP to build his Mossberg as an AOW unless he wants to be able to take it out of state without filing a Form 5320.20, or if SBSs are illegal his state but AOWs aren't (like in my state).

What I meant was you can cut the barrel BELOW 18" as long as the OAL is 26" or more, WITHOUT getting into NFA territory.
On my 20 ga Cruiser, that would be about 16".

Getting an NFA item is a big deal-until you get one. Then it's just another gun.

To Bill's point, there are Mossberg Cruisers with extra-long birdshead grips and 14" barrels that are non-NFA due to their overall length. So there's a possibility you could save yourself the tax stamp and registration on that one by building a legal "firearm" that has the same barrel length you want.

Also worth considering to make it an SBS if possible for the addition of a stock, as noted.

here in Nh, you can have whatever the ATF says an individual can have, with the tax stamp(s). just like NH has NO blade restrictions at all since 2010, we can carry long fixed bladed knives, daggers, dirks, have switchblades & butterfly knives, wear our swords..ect.

I'm glad y'all cleared up for me about doing a Form 1 would still cost $200 on either a AOW or a SBS, I was unsure about that. like I said, there are some trying to convince me it's foolish and a waste of time.

just going to do them all as SBSs.

nightwolf1974 said:
like I said, there are some trying to convince me it's foolish and a waste of time.
I'm curious as to what their arguments are. Why are they claiming it's foolish? What makes them think it's a waste of time?

the arguments range from being put on a "special watch-list" to "why waste money on that when you can't even carry loaded in a vehicle like you can a AR or AK pistol"

total ignorance if you ask me............

I knew this thread is a month or two old.

But for those who may find it in the future, or for those participating now.

This is what is being discussed and all the controversy is about.

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

Read the info there. Also read all the linked info and references. Then draw your own conclusions.

Mine is no way, no how, no sir. It's a trip to jail waiting to happen. Is it really worth the hassle to dabble in such a "grey" area of the law. And God forbid you purchased a base shotgun with a pistol grip that the owner swore up and down was factory original. Only to find out at a later date - like after your arrest - that it originally left the factory with a full length butt stock.

Rob

Rob62 said:
Mine is no way, no how, no sir. It's a trip to jail waiting to happen. Is it really worth the hassle to dabble in such a "grey" area of the law.
It's not a grey area of the law. It's very clearly legal. Both federal law and the ATF are very clear on this: A shotgun like the OP describes is not a shotgun per federal law, since the federal definition of a shotgun includes a stock. And since it's not a shotgun and is actually very clearly an "other" firearm per federal law, there is an overall length requirement of 26" but no minimum barrel length restriction.

The issue you might have is if you run into police officers who don't understand this and erroneously think you're breaking the law. But that's not because you're dealing with a legal grey area, it's because most cops probably don't know the details of federal firearms law.

My point and contention is why bother with the potential legal hassle for 4" of barrel length ?!?

Anyone that wants to go with this type of a firearm go ahead and do so. Just don't be shocked and outraged when some cop arrests you. Will you win the court battle....probably. Will the case be dropped or never picked up by a prosecuting attorney - hopefully. But why take the chance is all I am saying.....

It is clearly not a "shotgun" or a rile or pistol because it is a smooth bore. Doesn't that place it in the "Any other firearm" category?
It is a firearm and the definition of a pistol fits, with the exception of a rifled barrel. It is also shooting a larger projectile than .50 caliber... "a destructive device"?

Guns like this are simply classified as a "firearm."
There is no "any other firearm." It's "Any Other Weapon," but these guns are not classified as such.

Back