Another .308 meets the Krylon

WWWJD

Habitat Photo Update:

IMAGE_31BC8A05-64A6-4AFD-8B10-527B4DC1F06A.JPG

This is something I've been debating for a long time. I finally broke down, masked off the action and optic, slammed a motivational beer, and started spraying. I think it's turned out pretty well so far. Still need to comb Lexington for a can of matte clear, so the tape's not come off yet.

IMAGE_8AC1FD5A-2FEF-425B-9D3E-1A76EA55EF0C.JPG

IMAGE_5514FA86-46BA-4FC5-8999-97948E8C377F.JPG

Scope turned out alright. *wipes forehead*

I've got $3k in this rig; can't believe I went through with it, but I'm glad I did.

.308 SPS Tactical 20"
Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP
B&C A5 Medalist
Jewell Trigger
CDI Bottom metal
Badger bolt handle
Burris XTR rings
EGW 20 minute rail
Consistent 1/2 moa shooting.

This Turkey's done. :)

~Mark

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349311833.917072.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349311833.917072.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Looks great! I've got a shotgun I'm thinking about doing in krylon. Did you use the primer? What steps did you take to do this? What is the purpose of the clear matte?

I didn't use primer; in hindsight, it may have been a good idea to promote adhesion of the paint. The clear, I suppose, will maybe help toughen up the finish. A scratch here and there isn't gonna break my heart, but I don't want those scratches to come easy either.

~Mark

That looks sweet. How does it shoot? How much work was the CDI bottom metal? I used the PTG and it required quite a bit of inletting to make it work with the B&C A2.

Re: Clearcoat; yea. I got a can of satin clear coat and tried it on a test piece. Looks like gloss to me! There's a craft store here that may have the matte stuff, or perhaps one of the better auto parts stores. One of my missions for this weekend.

Re: The CDI bottom metal: I don't have a lot of experience with various makes of bottom metal, but I'm very pleased with the part, and the company. I purchased the piece for this rifle when I was using a HS Precision stock; much different grip profile than the A5. I did the HS myself with a dremel (not for the faint of heart). But when I received the A5, one look told me that I'd not be able to DIY. I mailed the stock to CDI on Sept.12, watched the tracking number to make sure they took delivery. I called them that afternoon and talked to Pam, asked for an ETA. While on the phone, she went and got my package, and since I was just asking for inletting and not waiting on parts, she informed me that she'd push me to the front of the line! I didn't ask her to; she just did. The stock was in the mail back to me on the 18th. They (and the CNC) did a great job on the stock, and I couldn't be more pleased with them as a company. If I had more rifles that needed such a thing, you can bet they'd be first if not only choice.

How's it shoot? Well, one of the reasons I ditched the HS PST012 was that I never felt like I could get comfortable behind the rifle. On the bench, after 40-50 rounds my wrist would start hurting too, just cause the grip angle. I also had problems with recoil control for follow up shots; the rifle didn't want to stay put no matter the grip, shooter position, bipod height, etc. The A5 obviously is fully adjustable. My first few trips to the range with it have shown much much improvement for stability, follow up, and overall comfort. Plus, it just looks Bad A$$. :) It's always been a 1/2 moa shooter with the right hand loads and Federal GMM, so I can't claim that the B&C did something magical for group sizes. It just feels good.

Thanks for the comments guys. I have a co-worker who did two tours in Eastern Afghanistan as an Army Sniper (101st Airborne). They did their own camo religiously, and I got his thumbs up approval this morning. So I feel like I did it right now. :)

I went to my local hardware store,(True Value) and they have an extended selection of RustOleum spray paints and thats where I came up with the Matt Clearcoat I used.
Find it cause it works pretty good. Super job man!:)

We have a small town ace hardware that I love; they usually have everything I'm looking for (that's where I got the paint). Didn't have the clear though. That had me bummed. I know that HD and Lowes are a bust too, which is surprising. I always try to go to my Ace first. I'm anxious to get this thing back up and running, gotta deer load to get dialed back in before November.

~Mark

Nice job.
Just did my stock last weekend, seems only Krylon makes a true Matte clear coat- I haven't seen it from any other manufacturers. My local Ace carries all the Camo colors and the clear coat.

OK... now it's really done.

Found some matte clear last night at Michael's Craft Store. Shot it this morning and let it set for a while. Pulled the tape, and updated the original post with some new photos. I was going to run back to my hunting ground, but ran out of time. Had to help somebody else with a project today. Overall I'm very pleased with the outcome.

Back