Another 10/22 question

Poz

Okay. Here's my situation. My brother (19 yrs) wants a 10/22. And he asked me what varient would be the best for him, what's to much, is this pawn shop a good place to by from....

Okay... so lets give y'all a budget of about $200 and put it down to: what rifle (.22LR would best fit the role of a fun plinker?

Thanks
-Poz

I have the standard stainless 10/22 with wood stock. Slapped a cheap scope on it, and it's a great shooter. The rifle was about $179 and the scope was about $30. I've seen standard blued 10/22s for as low as $139.

In my opinion, the standard 10/22 configurations are the best for plinking.

I've been thinking about getting a Remington 597. Haven't heard much about them yet, but Wally World has them for around $149.

[This message has been edited by Bulldog (edited July 14, 1999).]

I have the Standard Ruger 10/22 blued with wood stock. It is a great rifle. I haven't had any problems with it and it fires true. I can't think of a better investment. I got mine for $150 + I put a $50 scope on it. Worth every penny.

I would buy the Ruger 10/22 in whatever finish he thinks looks the best. A cheap scope can be fun, but if he wants to learn how to shoot right, he should hold off before he buys it.
What I think is fun, being about that age, is the hicapacity magazines. The only problem is that they sell for about 50 dollars each. Do not buy Ramline. It's junk. You might as well set fire to your money. A high cap magazine can be purchased at <html>http://www.auctionarms.com</html> Do a search for 10/22 and you'll be able to find some. I've heard good things about Butler Creek and Hot Lips mags. I agree that they're overpriced and that they will lead to spray and pray type firing, but they are fun. Also purchase a cleaning kit. You need to clean from the muzzle end. It's a tight fit, you might want to make a notch on the cleaning rod so that you don't ram the rod down the barrel too fast and smash the brush into the chamber. Just a hint. Keep it clean and oiled and it will stand up better than other .22 caliber rifles and look and shoot nice forever.
Another hint. Dont' buy the cheapest ammo at Walmart. You need something that will make the semi-auto cycle. I can't recommend a particular brand, but if they are selling one brand for $3/500 and another for $7/500, buy the second brand. It's only $4 more, don't be cheap! :)

forgot something. For a gun that cheap, don't buy a used one at a pawn shop, go to a sporting goods store or a department store and buy a new one or get the one you want ordered from Ruger.

Ok.. thanks for the help.
Now i've got a new question....

He's found the finish he likes (blued on walnut). And he's found in new from factory for $150. The only thing is the place he found it "new from factory" is a pawnshop. I have a natural retisence buying from pawnshops but.. what would be some tell tale signs that the shopkeep is lying about the rifle being NIB?

Thanks once more..
-Poz

Remove the mag and lock the bolt open.

Check for any wear leading to the front hole that holds the mag in place when looking into the mag well. (Although this doesn't conclusively say that the gun has been fired, it'll give you an idea of how often the mag has been pulled out and put back in.) The edges of the mag well near the bolt also tend to eventually wear.

Rub your finger around the chamber face to check for any fouling caused by any rounds fired. (Don't worry, if you locked the bolt back correctly it will not slam forward on your finger. I don't think Ruger function fires every 10/22.) There are a lot of small nooks and crannies around there that it's a bit difficult to totally clean without a total disassembly. Even then it's pretty hard.

Look into the ejection port. The rail that the bolt rides on just inside the port should show very little, if any, wear. Also, empty casings occasionally ding the outer edges of the ejection port.

- Ron V.

------------------

I think Ruger does function fire every gun that leaves the plant. I would run a cleaning patch through the bore. It should be a little dirty. If it is clean then someone cleaned it before selling it. If it is extremely dirty, then this is more than the one or two rounds that would have been fired at the plant. Ruger doesn't clean the barrel after they test a gun. If they didn't test the gun then the patch should still be a little dirty from the manufacturing process.

Check for dings or scratches in the stock, barrel and action. Check for a clean, undamaged box and with the instruction booklet in the envelope. Ruger usually ships rifles in a long plastic sleeve. This should be in the box and shouldn't be damaged. If it is, this indicates a previous owner removed the gun and wadded it up. A dealer usually won't wad it up or damage it.

Okay, basically..

Check the magazine lip and receiver for perceptable wear on the finish.
Swab finger around for sharp edges where there shouldn't be (i.e. dings)
Check generally for dings and scratches on stock barrel and internals.

Miss anything?
-Poz

Poz,
Checked your profile, what shop in Lincoln? I used to haunt them all pretty regular a few years back, actually my favorite gunshops in Lincoln used to be Mike's, out near the east campus, and Ralph's Hungry Eye Tattoo, right on O. I don't know if Ralph is still in business, haven't been to Lincoln for a couple years. If it is the pawn shop right downtown,(9th ? right south of O) then I think he's okay, sells a lot of guns.
B

[This message has been edited by bergie (edited July 15, 1999).]

Yeah, it's right south of O on 9th. Weird, I though I was the only one in Nebraska with electricity :)

I'll check those other places out, but I'm pretty sure that Ralphs is no longer here. But that's just because I haven't heard of it.
Thanks!
-Poz

Poz,
Yeah, we have electricical out here in Hootersville, but you got to remember what things you can run at the same time or the whole town gets dim.
I kind of doubt that Ralph is still in the gun biz, his shop was on 9th just south of O then he moved up around the corner onto O. His main biz was tattoos then he got an ffl and started selling guns, mostly old mil. surp. bolt actions and some pistols..
I can't remember the address for Mike's , but it was near the r.r. tracks somewhere on the west side of the east campus, (30-33?) it was a small shop (with a LOT of inventory).
Shooter's was pretty new when I left the area, but they seemed to be high-priced, I guess the owner has to pay for his safaris somehow.
Acer Arms is another good shop, they always seemed to have everything priced reasonable and didn't get all offended if you made a lower offer. They are in south Lincoln, either A or South , can't remember their address either. They are a small shop too, but they have so much stuff crammed in there, you can't even turn around.
Anyway, the price from that you said is good, esp. if it is walnut, not walnut stained hardwood. Ruger's suggested retail for a standard (hardwood) 10/22 is $225 for the deluxe ( checkered walnut) it is $274. Most major discounters like Walmart, will sell the standard for around $150, but I have seen them on sale at the Country General stores ( I remember where they are, out at 56th and Cornhusker) for $139.
Good luck,
B

Back