Anodized

salvadore

I use to soak some of my shooters in hoppes for a day or two before final cleaning, I'd like to do that with a revolver with an aluminum anodized frame but not sure if will hurt the finish. Give me a hint. Oh yeah, I hate spell check.

With some types of anodizing the surface is sealed with waxes Solvents in such thingslike Hoppe's may dissolve the waxes ,especially after two days.

Why soak? I use the wipe on, wipe off technique.

I saturate the bore and chambers, then the exterior. Wipe off and dry interior recesses, then oil heavily. Last of all, wipe off excess oil with paper towel. (I use those blue shop towels from AutoZone)

My oil is a 50/50 mix motor oil and machine oil.

This has worked for me.

Bob Wright

P.S. As to aluminum parts, I replace them as soon as possible.

Hoppe's Number Nine is basically amonia. I'm not a chemist, but before I dosed an aluminum frame in amonia, I'd find someone who is and ask.

Isn't a tank full of gun solvent kind of an expensive way to do it?
And nasty.
For soaking parts, mineral spirits works fine at a fraction of the cost.
Just a thought.

I use to soak some of my shooters in hoppes for a day or two before final cleaning,

I have to ask why? While I will occasionally soak a really dirty part in solvent for a few minutes, I typically just wet a soft rag with a bit of solvent to wipe down the gun itself.

From a martial arts movie, the old karate instructor chants "Hoppe's on. Hoppe's off."

Or something like that.

Bob Wright

On all my firearms, I use Ballistol....soaks, cleans, penetrates, lubricates, removes rust and emulsifies with moisture and water!...(Oils float on top of water). This has been around for over a century. I don't own stock in the company, but spread my experience to other firearm enthusiasts.

Ballistol.......

......look it up. I spray it on my guns ten to fifteen minutes before cleaning. Totally drench them. Everything cleans up nice. It's supposed to be a lubricant also, but I still hit pivot points, slide areas, etc. with something better. Discovered this stuff shooting black powder. Found it does a heck of a lot. I live in a humid, wetland area. Not easy keeping stuff rust ( and mildew, mold on leather )free. Ballistol does it all! Read up on the stuff.

Back