Announced RETURN of the Marlin .357

weblance

Marlin has just announced the return of the Model 1894 in 357 Magnum / 38 Special. This is a carbine I have wanted for quite some time. Many have doubts about the new Marlin, owned by Freedom Group, but I have two new levers from Marlin, an 1894 in 44 Mag, and a 1895 in 45-70, and they are very well made in my opinion. Lets not turn this thread into a Marlin Bash Fest, but lets be happy that a carbine that hasn't been available for a long time, has returned.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/leve...513557531287678779066232786453973066794047015

Last edited:
I prefer the Winchester 92 action over the Marlin...but I am proud that Marlin is finally getting this back into production.

I got a Henry steel frame .357 carbine and killed 3 whitetails with it this past season. It’s a great, fun little rifle.

I own two post-Remington Marlins. I have owned and own several pre-Remington Marlins. Each is an individual. I would say my Remington built Marlins are as good or better.

What I cannot get over is when folks buy any rifle, take it home and then start complaining about some defect that was obvious or should have been upon initial examination. I recently went through selecting between three Savage Scouts, on the shelf, before I picked one I liked. Why, because there was something wrong with the others I did not like, plain and simple. It has been this way with every firearm I have bought, new or used. Some we love, some we do not and sometimes it is very hard to say why we love what we love, we just do. Apparently some people make poor decisions in life and love.

And I just bought another new Marlin, a 336SS. I am very happy with this rifle.

3C

Last edited:
Very long overdue! With Rossi temporarily suspending shipments of their Model 92's as they move to a new production facility, Marlin will get a boost in sales as the only game in town. How fortunate for Marlin. However, I too, prefer the Winchester design and would wait for the Rossis if I didn't already have 2 of them.

Just as I told my wife I would not buy any more guns (sure I will not!). Yes, I will take a 444 or the Express and a .357 would be sweet.

3C

Spats McGee I've long thought a .357/.38 lever gun would be a lot of fun.

That they are. Light loads are like plinking with a .22. Some don't care for the heft of a Henry but it sure helps in this regard.

Heavy loads when needed.

It would be nice as a companion to my revolvers in .357 Magnum. I like the Rossi a great deal. There is just never one on the shelf when I have the funds. The Winchester are awesome, and smooth. I just can not drop $1000 or more for what will most likely spend its life as a range toy.

My 44 mag big boy surprised me in how light the recoil was. I was expecting more and Im sure the weight of the rifle helps tame the recoil. I have no idea what the Marlin's weigh. I was looking at a new Marlin 30-30 the other day but I might wait on the Marlin 357 or get a Henry.

Its about time, they were taking there sweet time about it. I love my old pre safety Rossi 357, shooting 38's is a lot like a 22.

I would not buy a new Marlin unless I could put my hands on it and give it a very close look. Remington is still shipping some out with canted sights. Stock fit is another potential issue.

Just saying, Marlin has shipped rifles with canted sights long before they were acquired by Remington, same with barrel droop. The stock fit is different, so be it. The machine work on the rifles I have seen lately is better than anything I saw produced by Marlin in the last ten years or so but it is different because it more CNC and less hand fit.

Look at your barrel codes before purchase, the year is the last later, the first is the month (BLACKPOWDERX):

2017-L
2016-K
2015-J
2014-I
2013-H

I too would be suspect of any rifle with an I code or earlier without a good pre-purchase inspection. But, frankly, I cannot figure people coming home with guns and then finding the obvious things wrong with them that should have been caught somewhere. Look at this way, we can blame whoever for quality issues but the THE LAST INSPECTOR in the line is you, the gun purchaser.

And, I will take a tiny gap in the stock fit somewhere long before I will take a (other than 22RF) rifle that loads with a tube. Like, Dick Tracy, hold everything Mr. Bear, while I, uh, fumble with this tube loading thing with the loaded rifle aiming at my head and hands while doing so. Talk about a defect, that is a non-starter for me regardless of how pretty the wood is.

Last edited:
The wood to metal fit on my two Marlin/Remingtons (2016 models) are basically perfect. Just a good fit all the way around, with no varying gaps. No highs and lows either. Just as good as my Henry, and the 1953 Winchester 94 which I've been going over. I can only assume the Winchester was hand fitted, and that the Marlins and Henry are CNC. The Henry edges are a bit more rounded, but it's not a biggie. The Marlin sights aren't canted either, but then I knew all of this beforehand, because I did inspect before purchase.

Mentioned it before, but will again.............the three coats of MinWax tung oil coating I put directly over the 1895's stock sure look good. This is basically a linseed product from what I've read. Pulled the 1895 out and placed it against the Henry. I picked this Henry out of three, just for the best stock. I now prefer the Marlin/Minwax look over the Henry. That's quite surprising since the 1895's wood was so lack luster, and it's only real negative point when I bought it. Surprising what a cheap can of Minwax from Home depot can do.

I may get the new Marlin .357 when it comes out. I think that is a great lever gun caliber and adequate for close in deer and hog and even I suppose black bear. Or whatever. And I am familiar with the platform.

I am sorry for sounding negative on Henry rifles, they are a fine and excellent weapon to be proud of. I am just getting tired of the Marlin nit picking that has gotten to be ridiculous for the most part.

3C

Back