Annivery present

Kirkpatrick

It's been almost a year since I quit smoking and when I quit I started setting aside some the cigarette money to buy my self something as a reward in a years time. Well it almost here.

I'm looking to get a quality .308 bolt action. I'm not really much of a hunter and I'm looking for something that's good to go pretty much out of the box. I also want something that hopefully will outlast me.

For the rifle and scope what are my options and your recommendations for around $1350 inclusive?

I have no recommendation for you,,,

I just wanted to congratulate you for quitting smoking.

I quit smoking three years ago,,,
Best money saving thing I ever did.

Whatever you decide to purchase,,,
Enjoy and shoot it like you stole it.

Aarond

I will agree that the Winchester Model 70 (made by FN) is a good choice, possibly topped with a Leupold VX series scope. How far are you going to be shooting it?

But the more important reason for this post, congratulations! I have witnessed firsthand the difficulties involved with quitting, and it takes a strong will to succeed!

To quit smoking is a great acomplishment. I also think that a fnh made model 70 is a good choice.

If I quit smoking I could save enough money to buy a new gun maybe twice a year. Good job man.

Congratulations on quitting smoking. Having lost a loved one who smoked for 50 years to lung cancer I applaud anyone who has the discipline to stop.

On a brighter note... there are lots of great rifles out there to consider. If I were in your shoes I would consider the following:
  1. Winchester (FN) Model 70 - getting great reviews for build quality
  2. Tikka T3 - smooth action, DM and sub MOA guarantee
  3. TC Icon or Venture - DM, sub MOA guarantee and the Venture is $450
  4. Weatherby Vanguard S2 - great two stage trigger and sub MOA guarantee
  5. Savage 11/111 - accurate, affordable and great Accutrigger

There are many inexpensive bolt action rifles available today that out-shoot expensive custom rifles of not long ago, and have sub MOA guarantees. Buying a rifle today is like being a kid in a candy shop.

I'm not sure what price Cooper Arms rifles are going for now, but I'd take a look at their model 54. I've seen some at Sportsman's Warehouse and at Sheels for about a grand several years ago. Custom quality and accuracy.

If I was building a target .308, which is what it sounds like, I'd probably build or buy a semi custom built Rem 700. With your budget it's extremely possible.

I bought a box stock Rem 700 today in .308 for under $400. It will be built over time. I really would have liked to have bought a Win Mod 70 but the price difference just didn't justify it for me.

Back