Ankle Holster w/Thumb Break Release vs. Open Top

Hi Everyone,

Carrying a small back up handgun in an ankle holster has always been convenient for me. With practice, anyone can draw the handgun fast enough to meet most self defense scenarios. With this said, I always buy the ankle holsters with thumb break release to keep the gun secured, in case I have to run.

Which ankle holster do you prefer? Open top or with thumb break release?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeSantis ankle holsters are great! That’s what I have for a Kimber K6s, G26 and Sig P365. I find that having the thumb break release is a must to secure the guns. Agree? I am not sure how anyone can walk with confidence not having the thumb break option.

I’ve used a Galco Ankle Glove for several years with a S&W 642. It does not have a retention strap and I’ve never once had to worry about the gun coming out.

Imagine being at the groceries store and seeing your revolver sliding over the shiny floor. People would panic big time. Where I live, that would make the local news for sure.

That’s another reason why I would never risk using an ankle holster without a thumb break / release safety mechanism.

Last edited:
Back