Ankle holster for 38 snubbie?

Lightsped

Are there any good, affordable ankle holsters for 38 snubbies (Taurus and S&W)? I'd like to start carrying my Titanium Taurus now that I have my CCW....

mytaurus38.jpg

I suggest tring one first.I bought and then tried which was a big mistake.You have to wear pants with very large legs like a banger does.If you don't it bulges to the point of everyone sees it.

When you choose to wear an ankle holster, your wardrobe will change. Most jeans are much too tight to adequately cover the holster without printing. In addition, your drawstroke wearing jeans becomes cumbersome. Most fit too tight towards the ankle to provide sufficient "looseness" to permit easy access to the weapon.

I suggest the following. Wear slacks or chino type trousers. Buy them un-hemmed and have a gun friendly tailor fit and hem them while wearing your ankle rig.

I have a tactical problem with ankle holsters. In order to draw you must do one of the following: lift leg housing the weapon or kneel.

When you lift your leg, you are now balanced on one leg while you grab and "grope" for your weapon. A light breeze could knock you over.

When you kneel, you lose mobility. To go anywhere, except falling to the side, you must get up.

I only know of 2 individuals that wear ankle holsters that are any good. Both went through much heartache finding the correct wardrobe solution, developing technique and practicing.

Watch yer 6!
Dave Renn

Furthermore ...

whern ypou sit down (restaurant, office etc), the holster is displayed for all to see. So whatever you wear, wear it long and baggy so when it rides up it still covers the weapon. I've spotted a couple this way, one Glock 29/30 and a snubbie revo.

While ankle holster might be alright for a second or third gun, the idea of using ankle carry for your primary or sole handgun is not terribly smart.

Leaving aside all consideration of fashion regarding the looseness of your pants legs, and ignoring the probability of flashing the gun when you sit, cross your legs, enter or leave your vehicle, we still face the problem of the draw.

Imagine, if you will, you are faced by a situation in which you are about to become justified in using lethal force.

Let us say you are being approached on a lonely street by two individuals armed with stout clubs and they have made it plain that they intend to do you bodily harm and relieve you of your portable wealth and possibly your life. You will be well justified in drawing your weapon and if the advance continues, firing it. However, your gun is safely tucked into your ankle holster. Just how in hell are you going to get to it?

Are you going to drop to one knee, lift your trouser cuffs and draw? Expect to get a mouth full of engineer boot. If it is any comfort, they will probably stomp you to death before you choke on your own teeth.

Are you planning to imitate a flamingo and lift one foot while you raise the cuff and draw? If your attackers do not fall over in laughter, expect one or both of the to tackle you before you can complete the draw. I would not be much of a surprise if they beat you to death rather than waste one of the cartridges in your revolver. They might not have a ready source of ammunition.

If that flyweight Taurus is your only defensive weapon, I most strongly counsel you to put the idea of ankle carry as far from you mind as it is possible to put it. Instead think of accessibility. Think POCKET HOLSTER or think STRONG SIDE BELT HOLSTER, or even crossdraw belt holster or shoulder holster. All of these options are far superior to the ankle holster in terms of accessibility, concealability, and security.

Ankle holsters are OK for secondary weapons, but not for your primary weapon.

That is just the opinion of a fat old fart who has packed a gun for well over 20 years, take it for what it might be worth.

Doc Hudson

Already this thread is rife with misinformation. Actually, the ankle rig is a worthy back-up option. It is surely a compromise if used as a primary carry, the alternative to no handgun in some cases. I can carry most discreetly with ankle carry and do not have any worries about printing or revealing a J-Frame in a solid Ken Null ankle holster. How often do you look for ankle carry when in public? Even if you tried to observe people's ankles for a day you'd quickly forget to watch everybody. Would I prefer ankle carry? No, but could I make use of it at a critical moment? Sure. Can I draw from it quickly? Of course I can. The only danger is I may be more vulnerable for an instant, but if I use my brain, perhaps finding a way to present that snubbie may save my life.

Oh, for the original posters' information, get a good one. Don't get nylon and velcro, get a horsehide or very good stiff cowhide with good retention qualities.

I carried a Charter Arms Off Duty .38 in an Uncle Mike's ankle holster for YEARS. I really liked it.

As a matter of fact, the first time I met my ex-wife's parents I was carrying that gun in an ankle holster.

I like the Renegade Cozy Partner Model 50 http://www.emergencysec.com/holster12.html

Ankle holsters are definitely a compromise but I think they have a valid place for both primary and backup carry.

Pros
1) The last place most people will look to spot your weapon.
2) Usable with attire that wouldn't allow other types of carry, e.g., business casual.
3) Best way to access your weapon quickly and discreetly when seated, e.g., when at your desk, or eating, or belted in your car. This factor is often overlooked by those who are standing up when conducting the majority of their interactions with people.
4) The weapon is accessible no matter how you land when you have been knocked on your ass and you don't have to sweep yourself to engage your opponent. Also eliminates the possibility of breaking ribs from landing on your piece. Another often overlooked asset.
5) Huggers and gropers will not find it. For those of us who have to do a lot of interaction with touch-feely women, this is a significant asset. Also applies if you are concerned about a "bump frisk."

Cons
1) Accessing the weapon while standing up is more difficult and slower than most other carry systems.
2) The weapon will pick up more trash than with a belt holster although probably on a par with a pocket holster, which is more of a trash magnet than people acknowledge.
3) The weapon can be visible when you sit down which, in some cases, is a disadvantage.
4) Can be easy to bang the gun into things when moving.
5) Not particularly usable with tighter pants.
6) Running can cause the gun to come out with some models of holster.
7) Requires significant practice, both initial and ongoing; more than any other draw system, except a Level III duty rig.

A good technique I learned from Lenny Magill is to wear the holster on the back of the ankle, as opposed to the side. This makes it much more comfortable when walking and also reduces the amount you bang the gun into things, like the door frame of your car. There is no difference in speed or accessibility of the draw.

One reason I like the Cozy Partner is that it is of nylon and elastic construction which people easily mistake for an ankle brace. Provides a good cover story should it be spotted, which it never has. I also always wear black socks with it as further visual camouflage.

You have to try a good ankle holster out for a while to see if it works for you. The only thing I would really avoid is a calf strap. These can lead to blood circulation problems in the lower leg if they are tight enough to be effective.

For primary but extremely discrete snubbie carry, consider a non-gun-type belt pouch or camera case. I found a Timberland belt pouch that holds my snub perfectly, is closed by a single snap, and the draw is reasonably quick.

Back when I used to use it, I was packing sans permit...that was before I figured out it was possible to sue over CCW abuse and hence hung my guns up for the duration of the legal fight. I was able to walk right past street cops, no sweat...one key is to avoid the "fingering reflex". When near a cop, your instinct is to "check your stuff" to make sure it's still concealed, which is a dead givaway :(.

Anyways...that seems smarter than ankle carry. Just use a pack that barely fits a snub, and get one with belt loops rather than needing it's own strap. I also prefer a single snap enclosure versus a "pull the string through the zipper" which is another dead givaway.

Jim

Uncle Mikes makes a good holster for under $25.
I just bought a holster from a company called Witt for $40 and it is an elastic with sheepskin padding and a leather pouch for the gun. I am very happy with it and it holds the 342 better than the Uncle Mikes does.

If you are using baggy clothes as you have mentioned, try pocket carry, easier than ankle carry.

Either way, good luck. :)

Mikey

Yeah, I suppose I'll look into pocket carry as far as my Primary gun go. I do have 2 Taurus 38 snubbies though. I guess I could carry my Stainless one in a pocket holster, and my Titanium one on my ankle. Well, that might look or feel strange. I guess pocket carry is best, and I'll leave the other snubbie in the car..... :)

Ankle carry is how I usually carry (J-frame, Kel-Tec, or PPK). It's definately better than nothing, and the best way to carry if your normal dress is long pants and tucked in shirts. It's actually quicker than other modes of carry if you're sitting or in a car.

That being said, I am a big fan of Galco. The concealable is my favorite strong side holster, the Miami Classic should be here soon, and the ankle holster (I have two; one for my 342ti, and one for my .357 model 60) is phenomenal. I have the one with stretchy neoprene which attaches with velcro, and a leather holster with a thumbsnap. I like it better than my 90 dollar Alessi.

Galco Ankle Glove

I carry an all-steel 642 .357 j-frame on duty as a backup on my support-side inside ankle. That rig, which I purchased at first as a stop-gap until I could afford an Alessi ankle rig, has served me VERY well indeed. The gun is tight to the rig with proper tensioning (no strap, the 642 is hammerless). The rig is tight to the leg. And the gun is probably WAAAY heavier than your ti model.

Doubt it? I've been in multiple foot chases, one of which involved scaling a few 6' walls, and the gun has never once so much as slipped. The rig is top notch.

Mike

PS Will I still get an alessi or similar leather rig? Probably...but right now it is so far down on my list of priorities (thanks to the reliability of the Galco) that it is not even on the horizon.

I have used an ankle holster almost everyday for 20 years +. I have used Alessi holsters exclusively on my ankle. I carried a J frame for a long time and more recently a Glock 23 or 27. I find with a J frame sized gun, I didn't have to change my clothes style at all. They work with straight legged jeans fairly well. I tried a couple other brands and decided on this one due to the comfort and security. the gun stays put without the need for a safety snap.

I carry my Kahr P9 in an Alessi. With my straight leg jeans it conceals well. They have enough material at the bottom to cause lumps and bumps which the ankle rig blends into well. It seems to go with everything I have. i also carry my 642 .38 in a pocket holster on occasion.

Back