Anderson Manufacturing Hammer without hook?

jrucker2

Inactive
Hello,

I began my first AR build today with an Anderson lower. They also had Anderson LPKs in for 50$ so I figured I might as well pick one up. I got home and while putting it together I noticed the trigger looked odd. Any thoughts on why this hammer doesnt have the typical "Hook"?

Hammer-Trigger-Kit.png

Also while I'm talking about it, the trigger is EXTREMELY heavy. Not sure if it's because it's new or what. Very crisp and no creep or take up what so ever, but this is one of the heaviest triggers I've ever felt! Hoping to switch it out for an ALG ACT once I finish the build.

That's just a 'light weight' hammer.

Nothing super special.
Nothing to be afraid of.

...But possibly part of the reason for the heavy trigger.
Many companies that use light weight hammers pair them with heavy hammer springs, to ensure that light strike issues are not encountered and that the bolt carrier group cycles at approximately the same speed.

"LAWYER TRIGGER" is what we call them...
Need a pry bar to get the thing to release the hammer!

Try some action lube on the trigger/hammer sear,
If that doesn't help,
You can try weaker hammer/trigger springs.

It's usually not the trigger spring that causes issues as much as it's the hammer spring...

One way to lighten the hammer spring is to heat it, let it cool slowly in open air,
That will take some of the spring rate out, but be careful with your temperature, you can completely weaken the spring and wind up with failure to fire...

Better to do it twice at lower temps and sneak up on the spring rate you want than to overheat it the first time.

-----

Those stupid heavy springs were *Supposed* to reduce lock time,
the time it takes between hammer release, and the actual firing of the rifle.

The same idea behind "Low Mass" hammers.
Less weight should make the hammer move faster, reducing lock time...

Personally, a smooth, crisp trigger that releases is more important than 'Lock Time' shaved by a few milliseconds...
I'm able to hold sight picture much better if I'm not trying to get a pry bar angled just right to get the trigger released!

Back